Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

baby/toddler friendly family recipes?

thought it would be nice to swap ideas for family meals that r ok for babies to eat.
i usually make my own veg/meat stock and freeze it so i dont have to worry about salt, does anyone know when its ok to use stock cubes? as they r quite high salt i think.

ill stick mi sauce recipe on as its easy to do a load to freeze and is good on its own for lil uns or with cheese in, or with pasta fish etc, quite versatile and comes in handy for cant be arsed days image

chopped celery, onion, carrot,corgette,red pepper,green peeper,aubergine,500ml jar passata and same water or veg stock. fresh or dried herbs (any u like) i use dried mixed herbs and wat ever fresh i have in

fry veg til soft add tomatoes and water/stock dried herbs simmer for about half hour til all cooked add fresh herbs if using and blitz with a blender, all done image

xx

Replies

• hi kirst3, Kallo organic stock cubes are low salt which you can use. You can get them in the supermarket. x
    p.s. thanks for the recipe, i'm gonna use it at the weekend when i do my batch cooking.
  • ooohh i will keep an eye out for those nxt food shop,thanx
    xx
  • hiya, am loving this forum!!! My LO is only 5 months but I'm already planning some gourmet meals when he's older! I love cooking u see. I made the Annabel Karmel fish pie tonight and it was soooo nice but used butter in it (loads!) which I don't usually do so will probs end up a big fat pig if I carry on!

Do you give your LO's fresh homemade food all the time? I have started weaning my LO and give him homemade purees, but I am worried about when I go back to work, if I'll have time. Especially when he is older and having meat and dairy etc. It's not really too bad just whizzing up some pear etc now but I worry that I won't be able to give him as much fresh stuff as I can later on. Have u got any tips??

• i make most food myself but when we r out and about i use jars as they r easier and can be eaten at room temp i take fruit with me too, before he was eating chopped up food i wld take banana and avocado with me as i could just give it with spoon no fuss.
    when u go back to work will lo be in a nursery? they might have healthy meals provided or a child minder wld prob cook fresh stuff.
    if not u could do some batch cooking and freeze portions to take with lo if u dont wanna use jars all the time.
    i did the annabel karmel lasagne and the lamb koftas the other week they went down a treat with all the kids image
    xx
  • hiya kirst, lo will be going to a childminder and we have to supply the food. I think I'll probs do some batch cooking at weekends as I love baking etc anyway. It's just at the mo I am constantly sterilising spoons, jugs etc etc so it is really time consuming making all the fruit and veg purees, but I guess when he's 6 months plus you don't have to pour boiling water over everything in sight??!!

I think it iwll be ok when he's a toddler as I'll be able to adapt family meals, plus it'll ensure that we all eat healthily as I can't exactly have pizza and make LO eat broccoli can I! I want to make sure he eats meat, veg etc and not rubbish processed food, so hopefully I'll be the picture of health too!
  • does anyone know how to cook mushrooms! i know its a silly question but i really dont like mushrooms so have never needed to cook them. i got some reduced today at tesco to see if she likes them but dont know what to do with them. i know they are fried for b'fast, but she cant have them fried! thanks
  • mmmmm, grilled mushrooms with a big dollop of butter image
    u could also poach em in a little water or cook em in some tomatoes,yummy. xx
  • lol joanne im making me hungry!
    im gonna have mushrooms and toms and scrambled eggs for brekkie tomorrow now otherwise ill be dreaming about mushrooms for days image
    susie, how old is lo? mine loves mushroom rissoto. xx
  • hiya i dice mushrooms and add them to scrambled eggs whilst cooking them lo loves them its the only way she will eat scrambled eggs u could add anything u like think of it like an omelette but scrambled not fried xx
  • oliver wont eat eggs at all, i tried everything,this morning i added some scrambled to lots of baked beans,thought id cracked it til couple mins later i cld see egg emerging from mouth,lol he must have managed to seperate the egg from the flippin beans in his mouth image

anyone had celariac? im thinkin of trying it but not sure where to start with one so any ideas welcome, also wat does it taste like? xx
  • Hi Kirst - I LOVE celeriac, just cook like a swede (peel, chop and boil about 15 mins until soft then mash).
    Its fab for weaning but can be expensive so I keep eye out for when it's on offer or reduced in supermarket !
    Tom loves rice as a change from potato/veg and I think it has helped him adjust to lumps.
  • thanx camlo ill get some on mi nxt food shop, oliver loves rice too he picks it up grain by grain though, takes ages for him to finish,lol roast veg couscous goes down a treat also as he will have it warm or cold. xx
  • celeriac is really nice ontop of shepards pie mixed in with a few mashed potatos
  • mushrooms were a sucsess! i made cabbage suprise(annabel karmel) and when did the toms i just added some chopped muchrooms as well. she has also had them with scrambled eggs and didnt bat an eyelid. we are v. lucky the only thing she seems not to like is banana!
  • made a vegie curry on sat and lo loved it so thought i wld share the recipe

half cauli (chopped to florets)
    1 corgette, diced
    onion,diced
    can of chick peas (drained and rinsed)
    can tomatoes
    1 tsp bombay mix (optional)
    1tbsp mild curry powder
    1/4 can coconut milk
    chopped corriander
    dessert spoon plain flour

saute onion corgette and cauli add curry powder,add flour cook 2mins
    add chickpeas toms and aprox 2 cans water (just to cover)
    simmer til veg cooked to how u like it
    add corriander mix through
    stir in coconut milk to taste, all done in about 30mins

if u prefer u cld use cream instead of coconut milk image

its mild but with a little hit of spice but use less or more curry powder depending on urs and lo taste
    its also pretty cheap to cook image
    xx

[Modified by: kirst3 on October 21, 2007 07:46 PM]
  • thanks. ive started putting herbs/spices into her food. she loves it. i also got a celeriac at s/market last week. i'd never heard of them b4?? its really nice and lo loved it to. she's a really root veggie lover.
  • another silly question by me! you can tell im not much of a cook, but trying hard as i really want her to have the best start and not be fussy like me. its about tomatoes, i want to make a tom sauce for pasta and meat etc. everything in the ak book says you should skin and deseed the tom, but after doing this i had hardly anything left! you'd need about a 100 tomatoes to make a sauce!! help. also do your lo's like sandwichs??? my lo will eat bread, but when ive offered her sandwichs she doesnt know what to do with them!!!
  • with the toms try pricking the skins once on the bottom then plunge them into boiling hot water for no more than 45secs then the skins should just fall off this should leave you with more tomato but u could try tinned and there isnt nothing wrong with not cooking everything from scratch and the sandwiches my lo used to be the same until i shared mine with her now she understands what to do
  • i finaly got round to trying celariac! me and lo loved it, older kids hated it and i had mixed it with some mashed spuds and piled it on top of some salmon&cheese dill sauce,yummy!
    my next mission is fennel, i have used it in a herby butter for fish before but surley there is more to it?xx
  • Hi I know it is a while since this thread started but an idea for finger foods, I made my lo pizza, he loved it:

1 muffin, slice in half, spread over it with approx 1tsp tomato puree and then add grated cheese on top, grill and allow to cool.

Quite nice for you too, only add perhaps some red pesto to the tomato puree for a little more flavour and sliced tomato.