Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

how do you...

cook a casserole?
o.k i know i prob sound really stupid now, but at least i'm trying, right? image ;\)
does everything cook in the casserole dish in the oven or do you need to cook everything separate first?
also how much stock to do you use and how long to leave it in oven for?

should prob have just found a recipe shouldn't i!! :roll:
(but you ladies are so good!)

Replies

• Options
    i usually make beef or lamb casserole.

onion,carrot,and any other veg you fancy. add them to a casserole dish. you can fry them a little first if you like. brown off your meat and add it too the dish. make up a pint of stock. i also add a tinn of chopped tomatoes and a wee drop red wine. i cook mine i a slow cooker but you can just put it in oven for about 1hour and a half on gas mark5. hope this helps im not very good at putting my receipes down but it seems to go down ok.xx
  • Options
    hehe.... cook meat add jar of mix lol and put in oven as per jar! haha! thats as much effort as i put in !!
  • Options
    Cook the meat or chicken first. I partially cook carrots and potatoes, but other vegetables (peans, beans, corn etc) I put in raw or frozen. They'llcook in whatever liquid you use. I often use Campbells cream of mushroom or chicken soup. If you use puff pastry on top, cook it about about 180 for as long as it takes for the pastry to puff up, about 25 minutes. If you're not using pastry, I'd watch for the liquid to start bubbling, then let it cook for about 15 minutes after that. There are zillions of casserole recipes and every one is going to be different, but that's a general idea. There is a good recipe for a tuna casserole on the Campbells Mushroom soup tin.

[Modified by: Allie73 on January 04, 2008 09:03 PM]
  • Options
    check out the annabel karmel website, she has a load of receipes there, one for a casseroloe I think, I just lob everythign in the dish & then cook for a couple of hours on low. Don't bother pre cooking anything.
  • Options
    thanks everyone *embarrassed*
    will have a look at the annabel karmel one, stick it in and take it out, sounds like something i could do!!
  • Options
    works for me, lamb & sweet potato one is lish
  • Options
    that does sound a lovely combination.couldnt find it on website. what does it come under. thanks
  • Options
    might not be on the website! receipe from the book as follows;

Sweet Potato & Lamb casserole

90g 3 1/2oz lean lamb, diced
    2 spring onions thinkly sliced
    275g 100oz sweet potato peeled & chopped
    75g 3oz skiined & deseeded tomatoes, chopped (i cheat & use tinned)
    Pinch of dried rosemary or mixed herbs
    125ml 4floz chicken stock

Pre heat oven to 180/350/gas 4. Put all ingredients iinto a small casserole dish & cover with lid, cook in oven for 10-15mins until bubbling. Reduce heat to 150/300/gas 2 & cook for 45minutes or until lamb is tender.

Mash puree or blend according to babies needs.

Makes approx 4 portions suitable for 7+month olds & can be frozen.

Enjoy
  • Options
    thank you verymuch sounds lovely. i love lamb.
  • Options
    i always leave some when i freeze lo's batches & have it with mash. yum