Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What to feed a 1 Year Old!

My little boy is now 1 and I am getting stuck as to what things to give for meals. He has porridge, ready brek or weeetabix for breakfast. Normally homemade soup and sandwich for lunch and lots of fruit inbetween. I am just getting stuck for ideas for evening meal. He loves anything with chicken, pasta, rice vegetables, likes turkey mince but not beef mince, so has spag. Not keen on fish although will have tuna sandwich. People say give what you eat, but I feel the meals we have are not really suitable and we tend to eat at a different time. Although with winter coming up will be usingthe slow cooker a lot more, so can take meals off that for him. Just after a few suggestions. Sometimes he fine with lumps but other days not keen.. Also suggestions for puddings, not keen on things like Little Stars, but loves greek yoghurt with fruit and Organix yoghurts. What do other mums of 1 year old feed???

Replies

• you could always try spagetti bolognase chopped up with grated cheese on top always works.
  • Have you tried eggs? Mine love omlettes, or soft boiled with soldiers. Hard boiled might be a really interesting texture for a 1 year old to explore, scambled eggs or poached.

For meals mine enjoy

grilled vegetables in tomato sauce and pasta
    spinach and cheese tortilini
    spag bolognaise
    lasagna
    Pumpkin Raviolis
    Maccroni and cheese
    Broccoli and Cauliflower baked with cheese
    Corn Chowder
    Roasted vegetable, pinapple and chicken in bbq sauce with rice
    Mild curry and rice
    Pizza with a variety of toppings
    stuffed roasted bell peppers
    Mixed vegetable and chicken rice
    Toad in the hole
    Sausages, mash and peas
    Cheese escalopes with new potatos and veg
    Sweet potato, Parsnip, Potato, Carrot and Beetroot cut into chips and roasted in the oven (makes easy finger food)
    Couscous with veg and chicken
    Risotto
    Aubergine bake
    Leek, broccoli and artichoke crustade
    Dahl and chapati
    Very mild chili and rice
    Little "meatballs" make them about the size of pound coin and bake in sauce
    Koftas
    Quiche
    Roasted butternut Squash
    Polenta and veg

These are just a few, I make most everything they eat homemade so I can make each thing with the things they like. We are also vegetarian so I normally substitute veggie products.

For ultra easy meals I'll cook up home made baked beans and the kids love that with toast, or you can buy the beatrix potter shaped organic pasta in boots to make shaped pastas for them.

Also of course most of these need to be cut up / mashed approporatly to your los needs I'll write more when I think of more. Hope one of these might be of use.

• Hi ya,

for quick meals i also keep jacket potatoes in the house, you could try toppings like cheese, cheese and beans, tuna, salmon, bolognaise.

also fish pie from Annabelle Karmel book, she uses salmon and cod which i make for all of us. every sunday oh makes a big bolognaise or chilli ( joshua's chillie is usually just mince, kidney beans and pasata with garlic) but he loves it. on my day off ill make a cottage pie. i buy tesco tortellini in a packet which has bacon and cheese inside he has a few of these with vegetables. any kind of roast especially chicken or beef.

with regards to textures i very rarely mash his food now cos as long as its not to hard he'll shop away.

i would really recommend the annabelle karmel book cos it has loads of recipies you can make for the whole family.

we have days where he'll have a tin of beans and sausages or cheese omelet, or a M&S kids meal normally if were eating a takeaway but everything in moderation. hope this helps xxx
  • roast veg cous cous is a winner in my house, lovely warm with chicken and lovely cold the nxt day for lunch with cucumber and cheese fingers.

xxx
  • well i am forwarding you the link which helped me regarding the problem you are having right now. very helpful and practical you see

http://www.nappytimes.com/blog/entry/what-should-i-feed-my-1-year-old