Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes

fish

Hi is it ok to give lo sardines?i have some in tomato sauce but not sure if can give to him..i give him tuna with pasta but sardines????arghhhh lol what fish do you give your los?i myself hate fish(almost like a phobia lol) but i want to give my son as varied a diet as possible and will even prepare fish for him arent i a good mommy??hehe

Replies

• Hi there!

how old is your lo?

Me personally havent given my lo sardines with tomatoe in a can but only cause i was leaving that sort of fish for when she was over a year as i was worried about the salt content etc in the tomatoe sauce!

However, what i have been giving her is - tuna, salmon, fish fingers. I to really dislike fish but like you want to make sure my lo has a good varied diet. I buy the salmon and tuna from the fish counter at the supermarket or prepacked then for the salmon i add a cheese sauce with it and veg and the tuna i do with pasta like you.

hope that helps in any way

have fun
    xx
  • In the annable karmel book she says you a give sardines ie like a sandwich or on toast this is in the 9month plus section. Havent tried it yet keep forgetting but will, he seems to like tuna, will go and get tin out of cupboard now whilst it on my mind.
  • Hiya. Tinned sardines should be avoided cos of the salt content and tuna should only be given once a week cos of the mercury content.
    Mackeral is a good oily fish to give but needs to be fresh, not tinned. Lots of Omega 3 for LO's growing brain!
    A good white fish to give is haddock, cod or plaice, again if fresh. You can poach it really easily in milk. I've a couple of fish recipes if anyone wants them xx
  • Sonny likes sardines in tomato sauce with rice. Also smashed on some toast too but that makes quite a bit of mess so I mainly stick with the rice. He has been having them since about 10 months.
  • I was wondering about this too but guessed they might be too high in salt.

d1ydiva, could I have those fish recipes please? Am always looking for new recipies for LO :\)
  • I've emailed to them direct honey. Hope Lo enjoys them!!
    XXX
  • Jayden didnt mind the sardines in tom sauce but he found it too hard to swallow. I think because canned fish can be very dry so we gave up after 1/4 of a tine and half hour later!! x