Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sterilising bottles whilst away

Hi, I have just started bottle feeding my baby (one bottle a day, the rest breat) and we are going to visit some friends over the festive period. I don't really want to take my steriliser and they don't have a microwave to use the bags - Cna anyone tell me any other ways? Thanks!

Replies

• boiling water in a pan. i think you should do it for about 10mins, not to sure.
  • You can buy cold water sterilzing sachets at Boots. I'm not exactly sure how they work, but they are meant for travelling. I think each sachet contains a bag you sterizlie the bottles in with the cold water sterilizing solution. And I believe the liquid is good for 24 hours.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1071934&classificationid=1034958

[Modified by: Allie73 on December 12, 2007 07:22 AM]
  • I would just take a packet of milton tablets then ask your friends to provide a jug or a covered saucepan to sterilise. I have the sterilising bags but they will work out quite expesnive if you only need one bottle a day but a miltons will be a lot cheaper & quicker (15minutes to sterlise & lasts for 24hrs)
  • the boots sterlising bags are a good option as the solution lasts for 24 hours - only downside is that you have to rinse everything with boiled water and invariably I was not well planned enough to have time to let the water cool so was permanently scalding myself!! Reallg good option if you're just on one bottle a day and your baby is not fussy about a particular brand of bottle is to use Tommy Tippy's pre sterilised disposable bottles. I bought them in boots and they come in packs of 4 for about ??2.50. You'd need too many if you were fully bottle feeding but for one a day it's ideal and much less messy than using milton/cold water sterilising. I used them on an overseas holiday recently (as baby decided while we were at the airport that she wasn't going to breastfeed for the next week - my boobs were so sore on the flight without my pump to express!!!) and it was great when we were out and about and on the plane etc.