Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone weaned from 6 mths?

I have just started weaning Skye at 6 months, and have a few questions for any of you who have weaned their lo from a late stage.

How long did you wait until your lo was more willing to eat food?
How often did you introduce new foods?
How long was it till you introduced second and third meals?
Did you initially offer your lo puree food or mashed food?
How quickly did you introduce meats and yoghuarts?

Thanks

Susan

Replies

• Hi Susan

I weaned my little girl at 24 weeks, so nearly at 6 months. I followed Gina Ford's weaning book and it worked really well, I just adapted the timescales, but she has a 6 month weaning plan and it takes 4 weeks to get them onto protein meals and a full serving. Starts with fruit purees and gradually introduces different veg and then meats.

I found it a life saver and she has never refused anything (though she's a bit more challenging now at 9 months and wanting to self feed!)

The other thing that's really helpful is knowing what to do with your milk feeds, what to reduce them by and how quickly.
    Good luck
  • Hi

I weaned two weeks off 6 months on advise of health visitor (as LO weight gain was slowing) but I took a very different approach which has worked brilliantly for me. We did baby led weaning where you don't do any purees, just offer baby finger foods straight away. It does depend on how good baby's co-ordination is with getting stuff to mouth but my little boy has taken to it v well and was on three meals a day within 2 weeks. Its good cos he can jus have what Im having (as long as salt and sugar OK) and no pureeing! (I am no good in the kitchen)

However, lots of my friends recommend the Annabell Karmel book if pureeing.

Re introducing new foods, I personally haven't worried, just offered him stuff when im eating it so some days he may try five or six new things over the day. I think you only really need to worry if alleriges in family (though i know lots of the books make a big deal out of it but all HVs Ive spoken to have said not to worry about it too).

With upping the food intake I think you really need to go with your baby. Some days Sam eats very little other days loads and I have learnt not to worry about it. I just offer (as in put food in front of him or in hand as oppossed to in mouth) and if he eats it offer more and so on until he says no. He has never stuffed himself so this works for us.

Sam has had yoghurt from day one and has it most days now. We offer him meat whenever we have it but he's not v keen yet but likes fish, tuna, cod, salmon etc (think they only meant to have 2 portions oily a week). To keep protein levels up we make sure has cheese, eggs, avocado if no fish.

Sorry this so long, hope it may give a few different ideas for the weaning process! Have fun!