Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sauces for fish

Does anyone know of any simple recipes for sauces that go well with fish?

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    I use this one, my lo loves it. It makes 4-5 portions that I freeze.

15g unsalted butter
    50g leeks, sliced
    110g carrots, chopped
    250ml boiling water
    50g frozen peas
    150g, cod, plaice, hake or haddock, skinned and filleted
    150ml milk
    3 peppercorns
    1 bayleaf
    1 sprig parsley
    25g unsalted butter
    1 tbsp plain flour
    50g cheddar cheeese, grated

melt butter in saucepan, add leeks, saute for 2 mins. Add carrots and cover with the boling water, cook for 15 mins. Add peas cook for another 5 mins or until veg is tender.
    Meanwhile put fish in pan with milk, peppercorns, bayleaf, parsley, simmer for 5 mins until fish is cooked. Flake fish and set aside, get rid of flavouring and keep milk. Then make a cheese sauce by adding the 25g of butter to a pan, add flour to make a paste, stir in the milk slowly, until sauce has thickened and is smooth, take off heat add cheese until melted. Drain veg, add flaked fish, mix with the cheese sauce, blend to puree.

I know this sounds really long winded but it only takes 15 mins, promise. And its lovely. Happy cooking x
  • Options
    Ha ha.. I know what you mean, I had a few spoonfuls of this recipe, they're well yummy!!! Naughty mummy!
  • Options
    I've just been using tins of mackerel and pureeing with tomatoes, potatoes and fennel (Max loves fennel!!) Maybe a bit boring but he loves it!

Will try the cheesey sauce recipe above, great idea to get them liking fish at an early age xx image