Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

weaning baby at 6 months

Hello ladies,

I am desperately needing advice about weaning. My baby daughter is 6 months old and she very happy with her bottle. She is currently on 4 - 5 bottles containing 210mls (7oz). She weighs 16lbs and the HV are happy with the amount she is gaining.

In the morning, I've been trying to introduce baby porridge but she doesn't want to eat and she is looking for her bottle. She doesn't open her mouth for the spoon but she does when she sees her bottle. I'm finding this all very stressful but I am trying to maintain a fun environment when she's eating.

once she spits out her bottle I offer her some of the porridge and she starts crying. I've tried speaking to the HV about this and they suggest just to preserve.

I offer her another meal at lunch time usually carrots or potato or baby rice but again she doesn't open her mouth for the spoon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
xx

Replies

• Hi, if you're willing to try something different why not have a look at 'baby led weaning'. This may be more appealing to your LO as they pick up food for themselves, no spoons, and maybe she'll be interested in foods that are more colourful and different texture/smells too. If she isn't interested she may not be ready yet, the Govt guidelines are to not wean before 6 months and as she's only 6 months now I personally would leave it until she starts to take an interest. Hope this helps!