Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how much should a five month old eat?

hi my 5 month old is now eating purees and porridge. i recently started giving him some puree at lucntime as well as he seemd to want it, but over the last few days he seems off his bottles so could i drop the lunch time food for the time being/. he is havin 5-6 8oz bottles a day?? is this too much? he was sleeping thru hte nite but has woke up the last 2 nites at 2.30 screaming for a bottle? feel like u get over one hurdle then u find several more to get over, but i cant fiind any real good advice on how much he should be eating. thansk for any advice x x x

Replies

• hi there

I didnt start weaning my lo till she was 6 months, however her daily intake of milk / food was:

7.00 - 7oz bottle
    11:30 - puree follows by 6oz bottle
    3.00 - 6oz
    6:30 - 7-8oz bottle

I then gradually introduced a puree in the morning for breakfast and dropped her 7.ooam feed by 1oz then each time i added more food i would drop an oz off her feed if that helps in any way

xxxx
  • Could he also be waking due to teething? rather than actually being hungry? but the bottle just settles him? have you tried maybe increasing the puree you currently give him?
  • Im also weaning my 5 month old. He scoffs the lot and I need to increase the amount but wasnt sure what to do with the volume of milk so I will take your advice Annarule.

I only started weaning him last week so still in the early stages and he gets

7am ish - 7oz bottle
    11 - baby rice + 7oz bottle
    3 - pureed carrots + 7oz bottle
    7pm - 7oz bottle

When should I introduce breakfast?
  • Hi there

Chloes routine was slight different to yours as i didnt introduce any food at all on the 3.00 feed, just left that as milk till slowly reducing it till when she was 8 months i then dropped it and replaced with a snack like a bit of fruit.

I started off with the 11:30 - food then after 3 weeks or so, introduced breakfast, left that for about 3 weeks then introduced a 5.00 meal. All were in small portions. Once she seemed settled with that i gradually increased the food until trial and error got it right image

hope that helps

xxxx
  • My son is almost 6 months

He has

8 8oz

12 8oz with porridge

4 8oz with more baby food

8 8oz

12 8oz

4 8oz

He is eating so much and no matter what i do he still wants it

I've tried everything to see if it's other reasons he wants all that food