Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Throwing Food

Hello,

I hope someone can give me some advice although this forum seems a bit on the quiet side.

MissG is 14 months old and is a very good eater, however, we cannot seem to get through to her that throwing food on the floor is bad and have to endure it as every meal time.

Throwing the food is not her way of saying that she has finished her food or even that she doesn't like/want it. She will continue to eat food off her plate even after throwing has begun.

I have taken her plate from her on countless occasions and then handed pieces of food to her one bit at a time. We always firmly tell her 'No!' and not to do it. I have raised my voice at her on a few occasions too, but she seems to find it funny!

How do I get through to someone so young? She does seem to understand that it is wrong, buy still persists.

It's been going on for a good few months now.

I'm strongly against any form of physical punishment in children, so please don't reply if tapping or smacking is your suggestion!

Thank you!

Replies

• My DD is 17mths old and still thinks it funny to drop some of her food onto the floor. She has improved with the amount being dropped having reduced but all I have managed to do is keep stern with my voice stating that what she is doing is naughty not funny as the tone of voice seems to be what she responds to. It isn't easy and is highly frustrating watching good food going to waste but be firm and patient and hopefully you'll get through the message.
  • Thanks Kazzie!

Will presevere and hope for the best image

xx