Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cake recipe help

Does Anyone have a recipe for a simple sponge using a 24cm cake tin? I dont want a sandwhich cake just a big deep sponge.

Also I see some recipes call for baking powder and flour- is it the same to just use Self Raising ??

Thanks so much DD is 1 on Sunday so trying to be crafty x

Replies

• I believe baking powder mixed in with flour gives the same result as self-raising flour. I've made the mistake before of accidentally using baking powder in what I didn't know was self-raising flour - Ooops... The exploded muffins still tasted good though...

Can't help awfully much with the big deep sponge as all the cakes I've made have been 2 sponges sandwiched together sorry. Maybe doubling the quantities would do the job, but then I'm not sure about cooking times and such.

This is what I normally do:

(makes 12 muffins or a "flat" sponge in a 26cm cake tin)

250g margarine (I use Stork at room temperature)

250g sugar

250g flour

4 eggs

2 tsp baking powder

2 tbsp golden syrup

few drop vanilla (flavouring if for babies, otherwise essence or extract)

- mix it all together

- put into muffin cases with fruit/chocolate or put it into greased cake tin

- bake at 180 for 20-30min (170 for fan assisted oven)

the cake is done if you can poke a wooden skewer into the middle and it hasn't got any bits sticking to it when you pull it out

I made this for my son's first birthday party, decorated it with buttercreme icing, sprikles and fruit buttons and had fruit coulis and more buttercreme in the middle.

Happy baking! And Happy birthday to your daughter for Sunday!

Out of interest: why don't you like 2 cakes sandwiched together?

Spring x