Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes

Easy peasy lunch ideas?

I was hoping to pick your brains for easy lunch ideas for an 8 month old. At the moment he gets a meal that is defrosted from a stash in the freezer such as beef and sweet potato or chicken in tomato sauce. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to come up with and batch cook lots of meals so that he has a good variety for both lunch and dinner across the week. He will eat pretty much anything from a spoon but only dry food by hand (toast/oat cakes) but even then a lot of that goes over the side of the high chair! I'm looking for easy lunches that I can make straight from the cupboard and mash up to feed him. Today I made scrambled eggs and low sugar beans which he devoured! So things along that line.

Any ideas?!?!

TIA! Xx

Replies

• Not sure if it's quick, but I know W loved baked potato with cheese and beans! Banana toasties were another favourite. Homemade potato wedges with Philly cheese too!

• Omelette? Pasta with a sauce mashed up? Sweet potatoes in the micro scoop out the middle? I don't have a baby yet so I could be off the mark.

• Banana toastie!!! Love it! Good idea re sweet potato as i can probably mix that with various things.

Thank you!

• S had jacket potato with cheese and beans the other day and loved it! I also have a stash of pasta sauce in the fridge (there's a cheese and spinach one and a tomato and veg one I think), so that's an easy lunch as I just cook her little pasta stars to go with it.

How about savoury muffins? Would he feed himself with those as they're dry? Could be a good option for taking out and about.

P.s how are our little ones old enough for this already!!

• A few more ideas I found on sainsburys:

Cauliflower and broccoli purée with cheese

Avocado and peas

• What about tortillas toasted with cheese? Pitta? Soup?

• Oh I know Flossy it's scary isn't it?! Feels like yesterday we were posting in the tri threads! I actually have some of those little Stars pasta shapes in the cupboard but didn't think about it for lunch for some reason! Good idea re the sauces stash - quick and easy!

Thanks furmummy - some good ideas!

• We have the McCains (I think) frozen jacket potatoes which take 5 mins in the microwave, then have cheese and beans. She adores pasta and pesto, or pasta with Philadelphia (I also try and chop up whatever bits I have hanging around - cherry tomatoes, bits of ham). Every so often, I also take a day off and batch cook a load of savouries for the freezer, like mini cheese scones, cheese and carrot mini muffins, sweetcorn fritters. Annabel Karmel's finger foods book has lots of lovely ideas.

• Brilliant thanks - I look forward to the day he eats better by himself!! Defo try the baked potatoes though.