Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Share ideas for feeding toddlers!

Hi Everyone
Just thought that it might be nice to share and swap ideas and recipes for our childrens meals?!
Ethans favourites are quiche which is versatile as can be given with so many different things, vegetable risotto and vegetable rissoles which I often make, freeze then give on the side of his meal on the occasions when I resort to oven food,it makes me feel less guilty!!

Replies

• You have to get the Annabel Karmel book,Feeding your baby and toddler,its my bible.There is a recipe in there for pasta sauce with hidden vegetables. I feel I have got one over on my son as he loves it and hates vegetables but has no idea they are packed in there.
  • Hi Rosie
    I think if your little boys diet is healthy then thats fine.Children like routine .My son ate a marmite sandwich carrots and cucumber sticks every day for lunch from about 18 months until he started school. you could still put new foods on his plate or seperate but dont mention them and he might try them when there is no fuss. Battleing is pointless as you will never win but just get stressed
  • Hi Dawn
    Sorry i haven't got back to you with the recipes yet. My husband is the main cook in our houe so will get him to write out the recipes. I do know that the rissoles are any veg you fancy (i use carrot parsnip and potato)grated mixed with 2 eggs some flour salt pepper (optional) and mixed herbs to flavour fried in olive oil then cheese added on top. A good tip is to mould them in a biscuit cutter before frying then they look like burgers!! Ethan adores them!
  • I Know but sometimes i'd like to give it a go myself but he's a fussy so and so!! Also when i cook he hangs over my shoulder watching what i'm doing! Can't complain though he's cooking dinner now!!! Sorry i forgot that zoe can't have dairy i don't think the cheese on the rissoles in essential at all. I hadn't though of adding meat to them thanks!! x
  • Hiya,
    I would just suggest keep trying. Niamh went through a really fussy stage where she hardly ate a thing and would try nothing new. I just kept putting bits on her plates and making sure the snacks she was eating were healthy.
    Also, DONT WORRY!! Its the best bit of advice I had. I stopped fretting and decided she'd eat if she was hungry. As she's got a bit older, she tries everything we cook and is quite adventurous now.

Another good tip is to let them help with the shopping and preparing of the food. They love feeling involved!

Hope you are all well and that it helps.
    Speak soon
    Kas xx
  • Hi Rosie
    I agree with Kas The best thing we ever did was letting Ethan prepare his dinner it makes all the difference x
  • Hi
    Does anyone know how to make houmus(not sure of spelling)
    and what flavours to include?
  • Hi Lucyanne,

This is the recipe I use,

400g tin chickpeas
    1 garlic clove
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp tahini ( sesame seed paste)
    lemon juice (Just a little )
    and 1 tbsp plain yoghurt

Drain the chickpeas and put them in a blender with all other ingredients. Blend until smooth.

It's fab and really easy. Charlotte likes dipping all sorts into it.

Hope this is ok for you.

Take care, Zoe x
  • Me again. Charlotte enjoys most things we're quite lucky like that. Some of her favourites are homemade pizza using breakfast muffins and a homemade tomato sauce, Cheesy beans with sausages. This ones really easy and quick, great for the days I'm at work. Spag bog, a bit messy but great fun for them.

I'm full of ideas if you want anymore just ask. Zoe x
  • HI Zoe
    Thanks for that.
    Bit of a silly question,but do I need to cook the chick peas first?
    Unfortunately, Katelin wont touch sausages,so might try the cheesy beans with mince.
    You are really lucky that Charlotte will eat anything.
    Katelin seems to have approached the fussy stage rather early which has surprised me as I made all her baby food and she would eat whatever I cooked for her .
    Thanks for the ideas. Take care.Lucyanne
  • No you don't need to cook the chickpeas first, they're ready to use. I know we are lucky with Charlotte i just hope it lasts. Jack is terrible with food and like you i cooked all of his baby foods and under one years of age he would eat it all. Now getting him to try new things is impossible so it's nice to have a 'dust bin'! We call her that sometimes as she'll eat near enough anything, even a hot homemade curry that wasn't meant for the kids. If Katelin doesn't like sausages, the cheesy baked beans goes well with potato, mashed or jacket.

Zoe x
  • Thanks for the idea for cheesy beans Ethan just had it on toast for tea!! He had his main meal at lunch and was stuck on what to give him!!
  • Hi Tasha,

I'm glad Ethan enjoyed it. It's so quick to do and goes with different things to give a bit of variety and you know they're not eating rubbish.

Take care, Zoe x
  • Hi, just wondered if anyone's had a go at the houmus recipe and whether their toddler enjoyed it or not. Also has anyone got any other recipes of dips that I could try Charlotte with.

Zoe x
  • Hi Girls,

As a treat today for pudding I'd bought a fruit struddle and ambrosia custard. It's the first time i've let Charlotte have anything like this and she loved it. I'm not sure if it was the custard she enjoyed or a combination of the two, either way the bowl was empty!!

Zoe x
  • Over the last couple of months we've really struggled to get Ethan to eat much he'd try anything but have no appetite. Suddenly this week he's eating like a horse and it's so satisfying!
    Tonight he had chicken roasted new potatoes and then surprisingly wolfed down feta cheese salad!!! Long may it last!
  • Hi Tasha,

That's great, you'll find it a lot easier if you can put a plate of food down and know it will get eaten. Also he'll be getting more variety so he won't get board of things.

Something to bear in mind for fussy eaters. Jack went off mashed potato once more or less over night and I couldn't get him to eat it for love nor money. Then I was watching Ready, Steady, Cook and one of the Chefs said get your child to help you prepare the food and see it go through the different stages, they maybe more likely to it then. So I did, and he's been back on the mash ever since. It doesn't work with everything but worth a try if nothing else seems to be working.

Zoe x
  • Thanks Zoe
    We've discovered that trick!! Ethan loves helping to cook or just watch Daddy do it and it makes a huge difference with getting him to eat it.
    Also we have lunch at 2 of our tots groups and if i tell him which lady has cooked it he gobbles it down then loves to take his empty plate and thank her! What a charmer!!
  • Hi Zoe
    Here are a few recipes for dips

CHUNKY TOMATO & CREAM CHEESE DIP
    200g soft cream cheese
    3 tbsp mayo
    1tbsp tomato ketchup
    1tsp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp soy sauce
    1/2 tbsp snipped chives
    2 tomatoes skinned, deceeded and chopped

simply mix all ingredients together

CREAMY AVOCADO

1 Ripe avocado,halved and stoned
    60g soft cream cheese
    1 tbsp snipped chives
    1 tomato, skinned, deseeded and chopped

Mash the avocado and mix with the other ingredients

RED PEPPER DIP

1 small red pepper
    1/2 tbsp veg oil
    1 shallot
    finely chopped
    1 tomato skinned deseeded and chopped
    200g cream cheese

roast the pepper
    peel and chop it
    warm the oil in pan add shallot and saute until softened combine red pepper with shallot and tomato and cream cheese and mix together.

hope they are ok, if not blame Annabel Karmel !!!!!
    We tried the red pepper one but katelin had it with rice as a sauce instead of a dip.and the other 2 we made into sandwiches. xx
  • Thanks for them, I will make a note of them and give them a go. They'll make a change for her.

Zoe x