Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes

Advice on food after nursery

Charlotte has what they call high tea at nursery (gosh that sounds posh image)

Basically it's sarnies, cake, yoghurt etc. They have a cooked meal at lunchtime.

Anyway they have high tea at about 3.30, then I picked her up at 4pm. She had only just finished eating (so am planning on picking her up a little later next time). When she got home she was picking at food etc, like rice cakes and fruit.

What do you give your lo to eat after nursery? She wouldn't eat a proper meal for sure but not sure what to offer her so she doesn't get hungry thru the night. She still drinks about 6oz milk before bed too.

Thanks x

Replies

• ohhhhh that's a tricky one. Max has a snakc at half 3 ish at nursery - but not as much as your lo's high tea by the sound of it - and then we all sit down to a proper evening meal together at 6 when we are all home.

If she has had sarnies she won't want them so it's hard... I'll think on about it!
  • How about some cereal/weetabix./toast at suppertime? High tea sounds toptastic!!
  • Jake stays on for tea at nursery twice a week when Ollie has swimming or football, they have it at about 3.30 too so he usually ends up having some fruit and a yoghurt at about 6pm when Ollie and I are having our dinner x x
  • It is a funny one with Charlotte. Apparently she hardly ate her shepherds pie but ate all her fruit for pudding at lunch time. I forgot to ask how many sarnies she had, but she has just started to like them again. Don't want to waste food at home but don't want her going hungry.

Cereal sounds a good idea but don't want to fill her up too much cos she now likes drinking milk at bedtime.

God I'm hard to please!
  • We had the same prob when darcy started nursery. She also has tea at nursery at 3.30. I was making her dinner at 6 cos I didn't want her to go hungry overnight but she didn't want it at all and I had the problem that you mentioned of her not wanting her bedtime milk. I just give her a snack at about 6 now. I give her either a rice cake and fruit or a slice of toast then she has her bedtime milk at 7. She seems happy with this x
  • thanks CHL.

I'll probably give her a bit of cheese too cos she loves it and it's filling.
  • Oh yes forgot to mention cheese, she has that too x
  • Lily has tea at 4pm at nursery. They have the cooked meal at 12. I usually pick Lily up about 5pm and when we get home I usually give her some toast/yoghurt/fruit/porridge about 6ish. I usually go by what she has had to eat during the day by looking in her home diary. Sometimes if she has slept through both snack times she is more hungry. xx