Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes

Finger Food Recipe Ideas

Hello, I know there has been lots of posts on meal ideas but what i'm looking for are suggestions, recommendations for websites or recipe books for self fed food!

My son has again decided he will not eat off a spoon (no matter who holds it!) So we're resorting to veg, potatoes and meat again for last few nights, but figure i should really get a bit more imaginitive!

Can anyone recommend any books with this kind of recipe in it? or websites? or anything?

Thank you from a very unimaginitive mummy (with a freezer full of yummy risotto, curry, shepherds pie etc!) x

Replies

• The annabel karmel finger food book is v good. lots of yummy recipes in all of which i'd eat myself as well. My lo also refuses to eat off a spoon and has done 4 a while except yog. V frustrating!
  • I need to look into more finger foods too as my lo is either eating with fingers or not at all. I cannot get her to eat a yogurt now for some reason. Even bought those Munch Bunch strawberry shaped slurpy things but no!
  • Omelettes are great bcoz you can hide stuff in them x
  • ccbmommy have u tried freezin the slurpy yogs, my lo loves eatin them like that
  • No I haven't - thought you couldn't freeze yogurts...?
  • No nor did i but my mum said it was fine and we've never had ne probs. Its prob one of those things they say to be on the safe side x
  • Oh ok may try it then.....you can buy frozen yogurt anyway lol! x
  • What does you lo do if you give him those yummy things that are in the freezer and just let him dive in with his hands??? We often give spag bol as a 'fist'/finger food and it's messy but it gets eaten and that's all I care about!
  • Maximum, Well if we're luckywhen we give him shepherds pie, curry, risotto anything runny really, he'll just rub it around tray and in hair. If unlucky the whole pot gets launched across kitchen (which the dog's love!)

Tonight was a success with Pizza, and have even made some wholemeal cranberry & orange scones for breakfast too. Off to search amazon for that finger food book! Thanks
  • ok then maybe not with the yummy stuff from the freezer :lol: here goes with things that work for us and Max:

pizza (as you tried) with salad - to the extent that the salad is now the favoured item
    Fish fingers and potatoe waffle and peas
    Chicken goujons
    Pasta with pesto
    potato wedges

hmmmm - tricky really!
  • We're lucky i spose that he will eat an entire tray of veg and fruit and sliced meat, but the poor guy must be getting bored of them, so trying to find inspiration (i'm not a passionate cook!).
  • The thing is if he throws or messes with runny food put on his tray the only option I can think of is meat potato and veg like he is having!

SOrry no help am i???!
  • millie eats most stuff with her spoon and her hands scrambled egg isnt too sloppy neither r pasta pieces in a tomato sauce ( so it covers them not a runny sauce) and cheese and tuna or anything really millie always eats this with her hands as its too hard for her to eat things like this with a spoon as it always rolls off as u really need a fork and i havent tried her with one of these yet.fish cakes? homemade meatballs? xxx
  • Well we made wholemeal orange and cranberry scones, which were a success with the whole family for breakfast or snacks!

Tried fishcakes and he liked them but think my cooking technique needs practise as they all fell apart!

Last night i made red pepper and apple sausage roll and was a huge hit! Blinking Yummy!

Have ordered a few finger food books off amazon too, thanks for the suggestions! Never thought to search on 'finger foods' hence they didn't come up on toddler meals etc.! hehe