Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes

meal ideas for 18 months?

I know this will have been asked before - but I was just reading through the post on how much veg to give a day & it got me thinking. What meals do you give your little ones? Any meal ideas you could pass on? Mine are at nursery 3 days a week & eat like royalty there, it's when they get to home to culinary challenged Mum it changes! I tend to resort to cheesy pasta which they love, but man (or baby) cannot live on pasta alone!

I did cook us all Sun lunch (rubbery chicken & thick gravy, but I did it!) and they happily ate that. I would just love some other balanced meal ideas.

Also - do you give your LOs vitamins? Since starting at nursery they have had constant colds & I'm starting to think we should all start taking supplements!

Thanks in advance
Emma

Replies

• toby likes things like tuna pasta bake jacket pot with differnt fillings or homemade soup with bread. i give toby boots own vitamin syrup and orange omega 3 he he can be a bit fussy some times with food and doesent drink much milk so it make me feel a bit better that hes getting all the right vitamins
  • thanks both! Homemade burgers... hmm, I might try those. They both adore garlic bread, they usually eat ours when we're out.

I've just given Grace some spag bol which hubby made last night, with pasta. She loved it & had to give her seconds. It's good to have meals cooked beforehand which you can heat up.

Meatballs also sounds good. We took them to Ikea & they loved the meatballs there. They're just so messy though!

I shall have to start building up my recipe list. I was just looking for straight-forward good home-cooking, stuff which we can all eat. Sometimes I find the Annable Karmel recipes a bit fiddly & then they don't eat it anyway (after all that effort!).

Of course the one thing they do love is chocolate...... take after their daddy in that respect!
  • hi there, I have a 2 year old pasta freak!! he'd love it at your house as pasta and tomato sauce is all he'll eat at the mo......or noodles and tomatoes!! so much the same

so I can't help much as I can't get him to eat much else, apart from cheese!!

so yes my lo has a daily multivitamin as he doesn't eat meat and says all veg is "ack" I give him haliborange multivitamin liquid and it think it helps as he hasn't had a cold for about 8months.

How long have they been at nursery? I found when lo started he was constantly getting colds and snuffles but then after a few months he stopped, think it was just his immunity building up

hope this helps xx
  • What bout cottage pie, chilli, stews i cook these in big batches sometimes and then freeze them so there's a meal ready for when we get home from work, altho at the mo my los has decided she doesn't actually wanna eat ne proper food!
  • Oscar loves cheesy cod pasta with leeks, peas and broccolli in the sauce. He also loves curry which I add sweet potato, carrot and tomatoes to. I make spag bol with hidden vegetable sauce (any veg I've got goes in there). I pre-make all these and freeze individual portions for him. Once winter comes he'll be trying casseroles and stews that I can stick in my slow cooker. Once he's one I'll try some more adventurous recipes from my slow cooker book too.

Tonight he's going to have chicken, potatoes, veg and gravy which I can just shove together quickly.

I spend a day a month in the kitchen knocking together safety meals which he can eat if he won't have what we're having which makes things easier. I'm a lousy cook, so if I can make these things I'm sure you'll be able to too.

Have you tried getting them to help you make dinner? If you get them involved they'll feel much better about eating it xx
  • Thanks so much everyone - some great hints & tips there!

Claire a belle - my 2 have been at nursery for 5 months now & seem to have been permnanently ill since they started! I'm still waiting for their immunity to build itself up!

Emma
  • Hi, i use my slow cooker a lot. Dead easy, takes no time and its ready whenever. My kids like sausage casserole, i just chuck in a few sausages, chopped veg which i buy either frozen, or the pre chopped packs at the supermarkets, and a casserole mix.

Kids also love spag/pasta, and simple things like french toast, beans on toast or homemade soup.

Gemm x