Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

very peed off

im so angry, my landlords have just been round and informed me they will be putting the rent up by ??30 a month as of 12th nov!!
Me kids and oh have been in this house 3 years, we have always paid the rent on time and have transformed the house. When we moved in it was under different landlords and if was a dump. it's decor was something from 60 years ago right down to the brown cord kitchen carpet. we chose it because it was cheap (due to it being a dump). our new landlords bought it about 1.5 years ago for ??100,000 which is dirt cheap because all the houses on my street are in the ??180,000 region, they bought it with out us knowing as last landlords failed to mention it to us or we would have seriously considered buying it ourselves. we decorated all the rooms up lovely laid a new kitchen floor installed an electric shower loads of stuff and talk about the garden. it was so over grown and had 50 ft conifers all round it. We pulled the conifers out, dug borders planted flowers, painted the garage and my oh even block paved the drive and built a pegoda (think thats how you spell it) in the garden (got all his materials free as he works in construction) we also built a lovley fence round the garden. now they have the cheek to up our rent knowing how we have improved the house and probably heaped thousands on to the house price,
she even had the cheek to stand there and make conversation about how id had the baby now and asking all about him! Im totally discusted and feel like i dont want to live here anymore! this place is my home, i love it here its the 1st place where we have all been together properly and im sat here seriously thinking how i dont want to live here any more im so mad, its not the money although money is really tight at the min with lo and other 2 kids and xmas coming up, its the principle of the thing. well rant over well done to anyone thats actually read through all this.

[Modified by: Toni001 on 30 October 2007 16:38:47 ]

Replies

• Options
    I read it all!! I really feel for you; it must be a bit like when you know an intruder's been in your house and you don't quite feel safe and at home any more.

Unfortunately though as you're only renting I don't think you have any rights, and the fact that you've done it up and so added value won't mean anything to the landlords as they're not seeing any of the money themselves. My husband and I were rening for a while and tempting as it was to redecorate we held back until we'd bought a house because we knew that throwing money at our rented flat would only benefit the landlord and not us (except to make our surroundings nicer in the short-term).

Is buying in the same area a possibilty for you? Can understand why you don't want to live in your current house any more.
  • Options
    can totally understnad the frustration and really feel for you but as PTB said this is always the risk if you 'invest' time money and effort into doing up a rented property as the work you do will never be yours!

Total bummer - hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    is it worth speaking to the cab?? im sure rent can only go up by a certain percentage? i would write them a letter expalining all the things youve done to the house, which as you say benifits them as well as you and the fact the house was sold without your knowledge (illegal???? not sure). just be nice and see if they would look at a diffenet increase. good luck. we live in rent at mo our landlady is actually someone we know, but her agents are a nightmare.they are so lazy they do nothing. anyway i was my ll shopping and she gave me her and her oh tel no's incase we have any probs, when our lease is up we are going to do it between us! ha that will teach the lazy buggers.