Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

BANKS TUT TUT TUT TUT

LADY & GENTAMEN, Please lets get together to get to the bottom of this bank night mear. yes there on going, "kick us when were down!" there helpfull little charges, to keep us in line. Which in turn we have no warning of, and it stings some what when we do find out.

please let us know which bank and why they, HAD TOO charge us.
i shall be putting this on different websites too find the answer of which bank is really the one worth staying with/changing to...

im with Halifax and it cost me ??35 ea:xch time the computer says noooo to the diret deabit. sounds like hard work.... not

please don't be shy, THANK YOU TO ALL THAT READ AND MORE EVEN TO REPLY
PEACE TO ALL

Replies

• hiya,i am with the abbey,i sent of for my bank charges which added up to nearly ??3000! 6yrs worth! and i kicked up such a stink i got all my charges back lol,this was a while ago now and its all just recently come to light again so i say dont be afraid of what they say do all you can to get your money back it worked for me!gud luk.xxx
  • hiya am with the bank of scotland/halifax - got charged 35 for a s/o with the same bank - i transfer money into lewis's account every month and there was a muck up with my wages so i didn't have money and then got charged and they said its just what we charge! and because it made me go over my overdraft (i use my overdraft all the time) they charged me 28! what i have started doing is paying all my bills with debit card and setting up things with it coz they dont charge you for if i debit card payment doesn't get paid!
  • hiya,thats rite i cancelled all my direct debits and pay all my bills with a debit card each month,i just write whats got to be paid on the calender altho i dont work so my hubby pays them all!lol.xxx
  • Hi i am with co-op bank and i get charged ??19.50 for unpaid DD. Its only happened once though as ive only been with them since October. TBH I cannott fault them for service. Get through to a person really quickly on the phone or can listen to the automated service for the last 6 transactions or credits and it tell you balance too. Was with HSBC before that and theres were ??30 Over the past 3 years ive been with them ive claimed back ??800
  • my oh is with natwest and was charged because when his card was stolen (and reported) the theif made him overdrawn, when we queried it we were told, it's an automatic charge nothing we can do! after kicking up stink we got it back,
    when we noticed a dodgy dd they cancelled it but wouldnt refund the money and
    when their charge took him od one month by 5p he got charged again for next month,
    sooner this ac is closed the better, i have lloyds which is much better in my opinion
  • my oh went od and barclays took ??30 few days later another ??30 then a dd went out and got charged ??35. so made him od by ??195. this has been going on since jan they have now made him od by ??420. he has dd coming out. we tried to make arrangements to pay back what we could afford and they turned it down and are now demanding full repayment of ??920. which ??420 is what they put him in. my oh was made redundent in feb so at the mo just living on my materinty pay. until the end of this month when he starts his new job. but barclays are being so unfair. especially when we have tried to make arrangements.we do have 2 kids 6yrs and 16 weeks to feed and cloth. sorry for the long message.
  • does anybody know if you can still claim your charges back as my oh missed out because all the banks were going to court to try n fight so they didnt have to pay us back!!!!! we could do with the extra money at the mo
  • Tbh i can see why they have a`charge. As sometimes it is our own fault we go overdrawn or whatever. But they really dont need to be like ??30. I think perhaps ??5 or something. But i bet it doesnt even cost that much for them. But it would be better then ??30.
  • Hi all, I justw anted to say I use think banking its linked with royal bank of scotland and they are really good,.

I pay ??17.50 a month for my joint account and each month when our wages are paid in they seperate all of our bills and hold the correct money to go out in one account until they are paid and then transfer the rest of our money onto our card to use, that way the money is seperate and what we have on the card is ours to spend. You have a money manager whom you can call to sort out the direct debits with etc. They also do not let you go over and if a direct debit doesnt go out you dont get charged!

I was with hsbc and hubby was with barclays before and we got fed up with the charges and them letting us take out more than needed then charging. I know ??17.50 seems a lot but it is worth doing they also have a text service where you can check your balance in a text message which I always find handy especially whilst out shopping!

Anyway I just thought I would say that I find these very good. xxx
  • i'm with barclays and ive just had a letter through telling me of a reserve thing theyre doing - i have been allowed a reserve of ??500 (this is not an overdraft as i dont have one) which 'if' i have to use they charge me ??22 a week to use (regardless of how much is used) if i havent paid it back at the end of a week they charge another ??22 for another week.
    If they return a dd it now costs ??8, same as if they pay one out and you havent got the funds - it costs ??8.

i have online banking, and fone banking if i want it.

I think these charges are actually very fair now, as i know if i go over what i have then i wont be charged a fortune for doing it. Afterall i t would be my fault for not being completely in charge of my own finances.

Having said that, I dont spend what i dont have, and havent gone over on my account for 3 years, since i opened it.

i hate NatWest, the robbing Basta!ds, but Barclays and HSBC (hubby is with them and they send him a letter if any payments are added to dd list, or any payment is changed) are really really good.

Dont get me started on Bloody Cumberland building society - bunch of useless idiots.

xxxx
  • Maybe i'm bias as I work for a bank but my thoughts are yes they charge way too much considering the computers says no but humans are the one's who have to then liase with the customers regarding the bounced d/d and the bank/compnay.

Also i think you just need to keep an eye on what's in your account. It's your money and we should all be able to control our own money.

Sorry if people disagree with it but like I said the charge amount is too high.