Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

SO ANGRY!

In tesco with pram getting sum nappies, got so many dirty looks but i thought its ok just ignore them. But some poeple dont no when to stop standin at the till an old woman with a younger said very loudly knowing i would hear 'she wont be able to cope with the baby she is barley old enough to look after herself' so i was fuming and just couldnt controll myself i turned around and said actually its not hard bein a young mum im coping very well thank u, what is hard is poeple thinking they can judge u without knowing u and dealing with poeples stupid comments. She didnt say nothing back. As i was walkin out the woman and man at the other checkout said to me u did right love, and that they wish they had the courage to do it because even tho they were in there 20's they still get looks and comments. What is it with poeple if they have got sum thing to say they should either say it to my face or dont say it at all! Anyone else had similar probs? Xx

Replies

• Oh god all the time. The funniest ones are when i'm taking harry and his mates out. Harry being 18 months, Thomas being 12 months, Saskia is three and Shannon is 4.

Makes like so much more fun with the looks lol.

Well done for standing up to them. Its pathetic that they feel that they have to make their opinions known. Yeah i didn't agree with being a young mum, but i never expected to wait years and years either. I had harry at 18 and as far as i'm concerned, its the best thing i've ever done with my life. So long as your baby is happy and healthy and loved, thats all that matters.

I have a house (rented) a nice car (paid for by myself) a job that pays the bills, my family around me, AND be able to go to college one day a week so i can so what you're doing and bettering myself. Does that make me a skank because i'm a young mum? No way.

I can get really hard not to take the comments seriously and i think i speak for everyone on here that it can drive you up the bloody wall.

But stay calm and relax about it. After all, who are they to judge you? They don't know you. they don't know your baby and they don't know your lifestyle.

Yes there is a stereotype but a damn sight less young mums live up to it that anyone knows.

xxxxx
  • I get it all the time. Im 22 and I actually look younger! I have had the WORLD of comments when I step out with my boys as they are 3, 2 and 1. The best one being "Dont you have a TV to occupy you"!!!!! I get stared at all of the time but on the whole I get good comments as my boys are well behaved. Esp the old ladies - "Oh arnt you managing well, they are so polite" Which makes me very proud!

Well done for standing up to them, you should feel proud of yourself. Most people make those comments with themselves in mind because THEY wouldnt be able to be a parent at 15!!

xxxx
  • haha well atleast im not the only one, yh ill defo start ignoring them and keep proving young mums can do it! Xx
  • Im 21 and 23 weeks with my first, but i look so much younger, the other month an woman saw my bump and said 'shouldn't you be in school getting an education'. I said 'excuse you i went to school until i was 18 and have been working full time ever since you nosey bitch!' Was in a bad mood as it was lol

There is a stereotype for young mums and i do judge them myself without meaning to, i just dont like the girls that go out at 14 and get pregnant on purpose and never try to do anything with their lives at all and think its the way to housing and benefits etc. I know a few in my area but then like whalemummy others go out and go to college, have a place to live, a car and i admire them for that as its hard enough to do that without a child let alone with one or more!!

xx
  • You did the right thing - please dont tolerate these stupid and ignorant people! x
  • You did the right thing, people should deffinatly keep their noses out!!

Im 23 and still get looks, comments (even my MIL tells me how Im only a young girl grrrr) and it bugs me when u see old women checking out for wedding rings... the number of occassions Ive heard them whispering and looking and Ive held up hand for the to take a look... it really winds me up!
  • hi hun g/c from baby and toddler, what makes me mad is, it does not matter how old you are, I was 21 when I got pregnant with my ds, i also have a a five month daughter now, as a youngish mum than you i understand how mad you are, older mums should understand not hate you and being nasty.
  • Ahhh people are nosy buggers and many just can't keep their opinions to themselves. Good on you for taking a stand. The main thing is whether you are coping and happy yourself, not what they look down their noses and think!

Yvette
  • I had my lo at 19 and I've had comments too (a nice lady in the bank asked if he was mine though, haha!! I wantd to say no love, he's my brother). I remember when I was 39 weeks pregnant this stupid old cow on the bus was so rude to me. I'd start a really fake conversation about how you slept with 5 guys who don't know who the dad is, Jeremy Kyle style hopefully that will shame them in2 realising not all young mums are like that. My son's happy and well behaved at the end of the day I don't think i've done a bad job so far & I'm sure you're doing great xxxx
  • there really are some very closed mined people in the world! im 19 and 22 weeks pregnant with my first. to be honnest i havent had any strange looks when people see my bump (not that ive noticed anyway) but if i did get a look or a comment i dont think i would dare stand up to them so lauramumat15 your so brave lol!!! at the end of the day these strangers feeling the urge to 'comment' on young mother quite fankly shows what a shelterd life they must lead, they have no idea of the circumstances these babies where born under.
    i am only 19 and 22 weeks pregnant but i have my own hairdressing buissness and am confident that i can raise a baby just as well as a married couple who have had a baby in there 30's (i am also single!)
    just ingnore these petty comments, im sure you are a fanststic mother, all of you xx
  • hi, just g/c from ttc.im 24 and trying for my 1st. i do look very young though and i get allsorts of comments in all aspects of my life, especially when buying pg tests!!people judge very quickly, ive actually had someone comment in a restaurant about me being 'too young' to be engaged when me and my hubby to be were trying to enjoy a meal. just enjoy being a mummy and ignore these shallow people they havent got a clue!!xx;\)
  • I think all we can do is pity these people! I am 19 and 38 weeks pregnant. It wasn't planned and I havent' managed to finish my a levels but i know i can return to them at a later date, i may be young but i'm not thick or lazy. Me and my boyfriend have saved all the money we can and worked all the hours under the sun. parents were schocked at first but have been supportive and with a little help we are now renting a very nice spacious 2 bedroom flat privately and have a lovely nursery waiting for our little man image
    I worked at a pub and many of the old men in there would make comments that would really annoy me! Such as "You're still a child yourself."
    i did notice that most of these old men were grumpy old bastards without any children of their own, so i used to reply by very nicely asking them " Do you have any children?" This shut some up pretty fast!
    It is only society that makes it "wrong" to have a baby at a young age. There is a reason human beings are fertile from their teen years, and that is to make babies! It is our sole purpose in life! And there are a lot less complications with having a child younger than there is at 30+. At least we have biology on our side image Also, we get to be in our childrens lives for a lot longer! What could possibly be wrong with that !?
  • Everybody always used to get married at 18, and have kids straight away - older mums were always sneered at for doing it too late. Things have altered now so that people have kids older and older, so us young mums take the brunt of that. I used to get looks as well from other people, especially when I had to take my wedding ring off as my hands swelled up in late pregnancy!!

I used to glare back at them or ask if they had a problem; if anybody then said I was too young to be having a baby I would say it was none of their damn business, it was a loved baby and I had nothing to feel bad about.

They are just interfering busy-bodies!
  • I dont no what peoples problems are! In My nans day, you got a boyfriend, Got quickly married and had kids young, Yet it's always the people who was around in that day who say stuff... Ohwell us young mums can prove them wrong! were not all like the ones on jeremy kyle lol x