Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What women really eat in pregnancy

what kind of food i should feed to my wife , she is seven week pregnant now...

Replies

• Welcome to PP Sunny!!

You need to look up what foods to avoid, such as certain cheeses that aren't pasturised. I am sure that there is an article on the website somewhere!

Found it! http://www.practicalparenting.co.uk/eating_during_pregnancy/what_foods_to_avoid_during_pregnancy/177504.html

If she has morning sickness then she should just eat what she fancies! I didn't get morning sickness but have found that eating little and often keeps my energy up! I am eating lots of dried apricots, mainly for their iron content but they also avoid constipation. I haven't really changed my diet, although I am avoiding peanuts as we have a history of allergies in my family.  

• Hi there

The girls have given good advice,defo ask the midwife or Dr.

Be pre-paired for her to crave like mad coz if she does and asks for something and you dont have,believe me you will prob have to go get it.

All the best.

Emma

• Congratulations on your wifes pregnancy and welcome to PP!

Like the others have said your midwife will advise your wife what to avoid during pregnancy but other than that as long as she has a well balanced diet then she should be fine. If she does get morning sickness she could also try sucking boiled sweets or mints as they seem to help with nausea.

• Ah, how sweet that you have asked, some men just wouldn't be bothered.

Basically, nothing unpaterised be it cheese or milk or anything with raw eggs so no home made mayo though shop bought is OK.  Beware of things like chocolate mousse and tiramisu in restaurants that may also contain raw eggs.  Any supermarket version will be fine.  If in doubt, ask.

Very limited amounts of meaty fish like tuna and swordfish, though tins of tuna are safer but no more than one or two cans a week.

No restaurant sushi (sashimi really) though supermarket sushi is safer as it has to be pre-frozen by law and that kills of the particular bugs in sashimi.  Vegetable sushi is absolutely fine.

Avoid peanuts if there is a history of food allergies in the family, otherwise it is OK.

No caffeine, no alcohol, not the thre first trimester, limited amounts safer later on but that is personal choice.  None is safe, a little may be but some people can be unlucky.

Meat should be cooked through, no rare steaks and it tends to ruin a good beef joint or lamb which is served pink but it is only for a few months.  No pate, even vegetable ones, and only heat a ready meal once, never serve one re-heated.

Avoid (i.e. don't eat) seafood unless you KNOW it has been cooked thoroughly and therefore no raw seafood like oysters.  I'd avoid supermarket sandwiches and I personally avoided smoked salmon, generally reckoned to be OK but some Waitrose products where found to contain salmonella when I was pregnant earlier in the year and that freaked me out.

And no ibuprofen, paracetomol only.

Hope that helps, any questions, your midwife will have all the answers.  Also, get a good book for her, a Miriam Stoppard one, or Your Pregnancy Bible, or one of the many others on the market, go to Mothercare, they have a good selection or a branch of Waterstones / Borders.  Very useful for this kind of question and you can both figure out pregnancy as you go along.

Good luck!   N. xxxx