Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Absolutely petrified

hi everyone

im new to this site as i found out that i am pregnant, im happy about it and so is my partner, the problem is im terrified to tell my parents! i really dont know how to tell them as i know they are gonna be mad with me. any advice? or any1 in the same situation?

write back

Claire
xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy!! Why do you think your parents will be mad with you?? xx
  • Options
    congrats hun.

im only 19 so i was scared to tell my mum n dad. i phoned my dad telling him i needed to see him in person he said " ur pregnant" i said " no" he said "samantha?" i said "yeah just a lil bit" with my mum i just said ur gunna be a gran again and she said u joking but thats cause she never thought i would want kids.

just be straight with them say ur pregnant and that the babys gunna be here in 9months if they like it or not. and that u need there help and take it from there. i was like that

good luck with telling them and good luck to you and the bump xxx
  • Options
    i think its just because alot of my friends had kids at a young age and my mums always said how she thinks its unfair to bring a baby into the world when theres no proper home n stuff n that you should be married in a secure job n home before ya start a family , so now im scared because they are both just gonna think ive ruined my life too early because im a student nurse but its not like i did it on purpose, it wasnt planned but they wont listen to anything i have to say! and its makin me feel worse knowing i have to tell them that im pregnant, ive even considered waiting until ive had my scan and showing them the picture, but i cant see that plan working. i keep trying to think of ways to tell them but i just cant bring myself to do it! its hard image and im scared but i know that gettin worked up and stressed about it isnt good for me image
    :\(
  • Options
    hey there- I'm not pg yet- actually I'm not even TTC yet (I get married in Sep and we are going to try after that) I'm terrified of how my mum will react if I tell her I am pg! She wants me to be fully qualified in my job and secure and own my own home (we are renting a lovely flat that is "ours" as much as it can be) and in this climate buying is far from easy!! The thing is I'm 26 (would be 27 at least by the time baby would be born) will be married degree steady job etc- but still my mum will think its too soon!!!

I've come to the conclusion there is never an ideal time and life only throws at us what we can handle- your plans for study may be on hold but not destroyed!!! Most important thing is that ur baby will have people who love her/him

sorry for the essay but parents just want the best for you- I'm sure they will love and support you no matter what- you've got ur parteners love and support and a lovely new baby to look forward to!!
  • Options
    Many parents have these ideals that you should be married, have a good job, a house etc before you start a family, but in reality, life isn't like that! And, even if you have all those things, there are always more reasons to put off having a baby!!
    It sounds like you have a great partner, which to me is the main thing! And you're both happy about it! So, I would just tell your parents as soon as possible, like you say its not good to be stressing and worrying! Even if you get a bad reaction to begin with, they will surely come round to the idea- after all, it will be their grandchild!! And try not to get upset- this should be HAPPY news, it is happy news so don't forget that! Good Luck!! xx
  • Options
    thanx for the advice people! even more of a sticky situation now as a very close family friend passed away last night so its makin it harder to tell them because dad keeps going on about how things are getting worse and stuff so its making it harder! im at work next week on maternity unit and just wish i could wangle a way of getting a scan so that i cud show them but i cant image
  • Options
    my parents r similar to urs they believe the marriage thing to.
    at the end of the day just cause ur married doesnt make it a stable home. im not married and my partner is 100% by me.

i would like to say that you dont really need ur parents there but id be lying. me and my mum dont have a good relationship but i phone her with worries and all that and it makes me feel better but it sounds like u have a better bond with urs and there only lookin out for you. once you tell them there going to be grandparents im sure they will be thrilled.
    keep ur chin and and try and relax xx