Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pain relief in labour

i am terified of the pain in labour and really want an epidural but my midwife keeps advising me against it and i am also scared that  i wil be left paralysed after the birth can this happen? and why is my midwife so against me having 1?

Replies

• ive had two, but that was because i had a sections (i was planning on having one in labour though), but i can honestly say they are fantastic, there slightly uncomfortable when they are putting them in but not half as bad as i expected, and at my last section two hours later i could sit myself up.

Your midwife shouldnt make her opinions clear to you, if this is what you want find someone who will answer your questions with an unbiased veiw!

Good luck xx

• Find out for yourself as much as you can about the type of birth you want and the type of pain relief you want.Your midwife obviously has her own views which seem biased,but the only way to make a balanced informed decision is to find out for yourself,online or books.There's plenty of information to help you make your own choice.The more you know about what is going to happen the better.I think you'll find a lot of women on this site have had epidurals with no lasting ill effects.