Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby names

It's been so quiet on here lately.. and I could do with some help thinking of baby names for Sproglet..

We don't know if they are a boy or a girl.. My surname is Bamford and we have the middle name Rose for a girl (after my grandma) or Michael or David as middle names for a boy, not sure which yet (my cousin or my poppa)..

At the moment top of our list for girls is Imogen, Maegan, Niamh, Isabel or Chloe

and for boys - Sebastian, Dylan or Finn

What do you guys think?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• Hi Lucy - I'm guessing there's a celtic connection there somewhere?

We're going through the same process, my oh is Irish, my fam is Scottish / Austrian, so have come up with some of the same names!

I love the names Dylan and Niamh, I don't know many of them around so they shouldn't find too many others.

We've already decided - Finbar Ian for a boy, and Ròs Ailish for a girl.  What do you think?

Finns and Roses all round!

Cat x

• they are lovely names cat,  jacks name was set in stone from when i was 20wks but lola was decided in central delivery lol, and i got to add grace as i did the two pregnancies and earnt it!!!

Lucy i really like dylan and finn and meagan and isabell.

some ideas my mum always wanted twin boys benjamin and thomas! i think they sound nice together but theres alot of thomas about here. girls my other names were megan, laila, laurie, lilah and charlotte but i named my sister that so had to be lola lol! and if lola had been a boy shed have been Max alexander, had jack been a girl emily lillian grace.

Good luck, i loved choosing names can be a minefield though, jack is after both his grandmas jacqui! anthony, andrews dad, and ward, my grandad whereas lola ellen grace, only ellen has roots its mine, my grandmas, great grandmas, her mum etc etc middle name, name! and im not popular for only having my side in her name, but that was the name that fitted.

• i love DYLAN for a boy or girl

i also like TYLER for boy or girl

i always knew i would have a baby boy called COBY from when i was about 14yrs old so i had a list so long of girls names

xx

• hehe theya re all lovely, im biased though, as i have a niamh rose!!!

i love the irish names ( im irish too) but it was actually my hubby who wanted to go with the celtic names.

good luck choosing one

xx

• I find names really hard as certain ones make me think of ertain kids. For example I love Dylan as a name but have two horrors called that so it would put me off.

Love Chloe for a girl though, I taught a girl called Chloe Bamford last year!

• I like all those names.We always argue about names with ours.It's actually the only part Darren shows any interest in.Must be nice not knowing boy or girl.Wish I wasn't so impatient.
    Actually there's nightmare in Erin's class called Dylan.He has a younger brother called Tyler who's not any better.Harry was going to be Niamh if he was a girl.Matilda's middle name is Rose.
    Can't remember where I saw it,but there's a baby name site with a random baby name selector.Vaguely amusing,had a play on that when pg with Matilda.Can't remember how it works,you must have to put some info in,sorry mind like sieve.
  • thank you ladies! will have a chat with shawn and see what he thinks.. am sure we'll be changing names every five minutes! might have  look for that random names website Jo, know what having a brain like a sieve is!

my favourites at the mo are imogen and dylan, but i know shawn's pretty keen on sebastian for a boy so we'll see..

• Morning Lucy,

I do like the name Sebastian for a boy as well as George and Edward.

For a girl I do like Florence (James wouldn't even consider it), also Imogen and Freya.

Happy choosing!!!!

• Thoes are some lovely names for boys and girls. My sisters little girl was going to be a chloe rose but she couldnt settle on it and the set with Libby-rose.

When me and adi got together we used to joke about baby names(having 3sisters etween us that seemed constantly preggers)it all we did,we both agreed on our names and stuck with it,Riley was going to be a Riley no matter what. We both like Melina for a girl but i also like Felicity.

• i love felicity, but my auntie had that shortlisted, although i think felicity whittaker whould have been a bit of a mouthfull, she has william and edward instead! Really like the nickname flic its soo cute!

One name andrew was dead set against was alfie, and i loved it! and Leo, that was one of the choices for jack but andrew backed out as someone said oh your naming him after his starsign!!!

• I was a nanny to a baby girl called Melina.My Mum said it's a not very nice medical procedure.Her Dad chose the name,something to do with a movie.Poor child,hope she doesn't go into medicine.
    Alfie's always going to be the film for me,or all the teenage Mum's screaming it at their kids down the highstreet.Alfie Moon too.
    I'd love to use a family name for ours,but my Grandads were called Rupert and Ernie.Don't think he'd thank me.
  • Melaena is the medical term for a 'tar stained stool'.. ie if you've had an internal bleed and your poo is full of blood.. one of the Gastroenterology registrars in a hospital I was a student name had it as her first name and I felt very sorry for her poor girl!

We did love the name Lana Rose for a girl, until my cousin's friend whose name is Lana, pointed out that it was a good name until you have the conversation about what your name spells backwards..

I am coming round to Sebastian for a boy - apparently in South Africa the shortened name is Tian, rather than Seb, which I think is quite cute.. will have to wait and see..

• just realised that sounded a bit garbled, i meant a gastroenterology registrar in a hospital i was a student in, had the name malaena..
  • like the sound of tian as a shortening! my lot are great for shortning names, andrew is roo, william is wills or billy jack gets called jj and lola is called lolly or low!!! could i have found shorter names!!!
  • Sebastian's nice,Tian's nice.
    Don't think you can shorten any of ours,but Harry used to be called Bean(since he was as big as)Bridie was Miss Moo(not sure how/why)Erin was Pootle(the third Flump child)Arthur used to call himself The Little Gentleman(AKA Jekyl cos Mr Hyde can visit in seconds).Arwen's Whirly(mad on a good day curly hair)Matilda is Fatty,Fatty Matty,Tilda or Tildababy
    Oh,really bad name,my sister was in primary school with a boy called Randy Love.
  • LMAO - Randy Love??? !!!!

What were his parents thinking of....  image

• main reason i was called laura was because mum didnt want it shortened, but im called lolly, lozziey jynx, lozz, lau and munchkin (my uncle who im now 3inches taller than) my uncle loves silly nicknames he calls his boys rabbit and chicken my cousins beve bubba and tweaky my sister is button lol!image

• My ever loving Daddy used to call me Tank.Scarred for life!
    My little sister Lucy was Lollipop.
    Hmm,favourites?
  • I was always "The expensive luxury"

Not sure if it was a compliment or a complaint...

• my mum always called me baby, only stopped when i had jack!