Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hospital results

Well didnt get of to a good start as spent most the day stuck on a bloody train and late for my appt.Got see thought.

Well i am booked to have surgery and should get my op date through at somepoint buts its a 3mths wait,not to bad.

The not so good bits:   *Ive got to try and not get a cough/cold b4 the op and cant get one after either as not allowed any pressure build up but if i do i have to sneeze with my mouth open and not allowed to blow my nose for a few wks. No flying,swimming or car journey's to scotland due to pressure change. *am not even allowed to bend over i must bend at the knees and straight back. *i will have dizzyness for almost all the time i have the packing in my ear.

The good bits:

Its a day surgery thing and i can go home in the evening if im ok.

I will have stitches in my ear that will have to be left and thaken out 2wks later.

I will also have my ear packed out(called a wick,now im a candle.lol) to help healing and try and prevent any infection,so hair washing is gonna be hard as this is in for up to 4weeks. Might leave the hair and go hippyimage

Im having the stapes bone replaced with a titanium one,life long thing.

His personal success rate is 90%           

The not so good:

I will be awake during the op that takes 40mins,wont go into detail,not nice but im not squimish.image

The possibility of it not working is 1%looks good but its one in 100 people.

This is not a total cure,i could still have build up on the other bones in my ear that could create a future problem or nerve damage later on.

Recovery time is quite long.

The other big problem is its now affecting my left ear,he saw this through the MRI and hearing test i had done,so not good.He has said that it could go in the next 5-10years.

This does mean that i have been advised not to have anymore babies as i run the risk off going deaf so surgery wont be possible if this happensimage.

I no i have my familys support all the way but its still hurtfull to think could i have done anything to have stopped this but the answer is no as it was brought on though pregnancy(hormoan inbalance). I could not have done anything different and am very proud to have Riley through all the problems i have had and count my luck stars that i do.

My mum did suggest that maybe i should ask my Dr about being steralised(sp)as also taking the pill with the estrogen(sp) in is also a small factor in the problem.I cant stop taking them and dont want to keep taking them if its contributing to the problem.

I no i shouldnt think in this way but after riley was delivered i was rushed to surgery as i was bleeding out and they were fighting to save me and my womb.They did say that if the bleed could not be stopped i would need a hysteroctomy,i now think why didnt they just do that in the 1st place,but i no no-one could have seen this coming.

Sorry for the mini rant but now just going to make sure i make the most in lfe with what i have and be forever gratefull that i even have that.

Thanks for being paitent and reading.xx

Replies

• glad its getting sorted for you sweetie
  • sorry to hear its not all good news emma, your doing great managing to stay positive, i know its not the same but andrews booked in for a vasectomy in april and i feel really mixed up about knowing no more babies! But i can say from personal experience i loved being an only child! i was 17 when my sister was born and i loved all the attention just one on one growing up, so its not a bad thing for riley!

it is great that you have such a sucessful surgeon though, although i wouldnt fancy being awake, in the long run this is all for the best isnt it?

good luck emma and take care xxx

• I agree it does sounf quite scary being awake during the op! Sorry to hear the downsides but on the plus side it must be a comfort to know you have a surgen with such a high success rate. x x
  • I'm glad there's some good news in there Emma.  The down sides are very down, but you seem to have found out as much about it as possible, and the up side makes it worth while.

You shouldn't think this was preventable - how on earth would anyone know?  And you do have Riley to show for it which is the best up side to it ever image

Let us know when you get your date through so we can all will it to go perfectly!

x

• hope the operation goes well for you emma, sounds like you have a good surgeon and at least found out about all your options before getting pregnant again and risking losing your hearing completely.

sending big hugs, as it must be very hard for you knowing you can't have any more children, but little riley is such a cutie..

keep us informed when you know the op date xx

• Glad to hear somethings happening for you,Emma.Sorry to hear it wasn't all good news.At least the surgeon sounds like he knows his stuff.Hope that'll sort it for you.Sounds a bit grim being awake during the op,but the surgeon sounds good.Hope it all goes well.
    Sorry to hear they advised you not to have more children.That's got to be hard for you.At least you have Riley.
  • Thanks all,means alot.

Its sinked in a little more about whats gonna happen and im prepaired for it,just now have to let riley no what will be going on and that i wont be so mobile for a while.

My sister altho is being a dick as i have told her i probably wont be able to make the wedding or party as not sure how hearing will be but all she's bothered about is me being in a photo,told her to grow up.

• Hi Emma,

How are you feeling about things today? It's great news that an op can sort things out for you, but a shame you have been advised not to have another baby. Like you say though you do already have Riley and he is such a cool dude. imageimage

Don't worry about your Sister, you need recovery time after the op she'll understand eventually, hopefully.

take care, xx