Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Parents 'shunning bedtime story'

One in 10 parents of UK primary school pupils never reads to their children, according to a survey.

Once children start school, only one-third of parents read every day

I know these days, people are really busy but surely reading to your child is very important in developing pre reading skills, use of language and bonding. My sons favourite book at the moment is jack & the beanstalk, whats yours....

Replies

• we dont have a fav book, I dont read at bedtime but we do with both girls through the day. At night they have a few different cds of stories the like to follow along to with the book but this is as well as me reading to them. I would never use it as a replacement. Sometimes my husband will read at night to them as he doesnt get the time in the day to. 

Books over take our life there room and the extra lving room is full of books. we dont have any space for any more. Need tonnes more shelves. I wrote my own book and read it to the girls and Isabelle thought it was really funny. 

And last night my Step mother in law ran to say that she had got the girls some books and had got them signed by the author. Which was nice, cant wait to get them.

Its funny though for all the reading we do I always forget to do Isabelle school book, we are always forgeting to read it and I keep getting into trouble at the school, but they let me off last week when I spent about £60 at the school book fair. So the school got £30 towrds books for the school. A last I did one thing right.