Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Aborting "imperfect" babies!

Hi,

I am absolutely dumbfounded after spending the afternoon round at a friend's house. Basically, we got onto the subject of babies and my friend's mother was telling us about how when her niece was in hospital having her baby she was on the same ward as a woman who had given birth to a child who was missing part of his arm (below elbow). This woman had been told that there was a problem with the arm before the child was born and to expect no arm on one side at all, so when the baby was born with more arm than what they had expected they were over the moon. However, upon hearing this story, my friend's brother announced that the baby should have been terminated when the drs first told the woman that the child had a problem with his arm. He was saying that it was selfishness on the parents side to allow a child like this to be born and that no child with a disfigurement, like a missing arm, should have to live a life like that. Now, I could understand where he was coming from if a child was going to be born with such severe disabilities that it's quality of life was literally zero (although I don't know if I could personally bring myself to abort a child like that) however, as awful as a physical disfigurement must be, I can't help but think that killing a baby just because of a physical imperfection is horrendous! I am shocked just thinking about it. Is it just me or is this man ridiculous?

Replies

• Hi there, just thought I would comment on this as My youngest brother (now 20) only has one arm, my parents didnt find out till she had him, but as she was an older Mum her and my Dad discussed things potentially going wrong, and opted out of the downs test etc as they said they would love there flesh and blood no matter what, obviously they were shocked when he came out a definate right hander, but he is fine, has a job and just about to

buy his own house and can drive (an automatic adjusted car) I dont think he should have been aborted, just because he was missing a limb, perhaps when people are in bad accidents and loose a limb we should have them euthanised? How ridiculous.

Why is ot ok for people to say that, when Hitler was thought of as a monster for wanting the perfect race, ok he was extemeist, but its the same ideal?

Sorry rant over, just annoys me when people cast judgements based on no factual evidence to basically say a whole group of people should be culled because THEY think they are a burden on society.