Forum home General Chat General chat

The Insane Gang - new meeting place

Replies

• Hi

LadyT - i wouldn't worry - it may just be that your nhs authority doesn't provide that info to patients? You could try ringing them or asking your mw about it - they usually get copies of the information too so it might be on hers?

Tilty - oooh af like cramps are supposed to be the start of things! Perhaps you'll have an early one? I don't think i had any cramps before it started (or perhaps I did but just didn't notice them!) I felt completely normal the day I went into labour - I'd been to the dentist, done the shopping and tidied the house and it went from nothing to full blown labour in a few hours so you may not get much warning! But on the other hand you could have a few days of twinges which will give you some time to prepare for the new arrival! Gosh it's so exciting! Hope your last day of work went ok.

I'm going back to work in July (but only for 2 days before the summer holidays as that way I get full pay for August - which we will desperately need! The woes of maternity pay are starting to hit us now image So really I'm back properly in September.

LadyT - good to hear from you and glad your hols went ok, even if the first few days were a bit boring!

Noah is fine - no chest infection just a chesty cough but he does have conjunctivitis so has eye drops which is fun trying to put in his eye!!

Susiee - any news????
  • Thanks Kernow, I'm seeing my mw on Thursday so may ask her then about the results.

Hope Noah gets better soon - poor little thing. Bet you feel kind of helpless when they are so little and poorly.

Interesting you mention maternity pay - I've been doing the sums recently and started freaking myself out about pay. I think being on stat pay after 6 months makes quite a noticable difference to your income if you earn quite a lot in the first place. I've been thinking I'm probably going to go back half time from about 7 months because I don't think I can live on stat pay alone for very long. My mum's already offered to do childcare so that will help.

Watched 'a baby story' on some random sky channel last night where it just follows women giving birth. I shall be staying away from such programmes for the near future, totally not ready for that yet - eek.

Susiee - keep checking fb for an update, hope its not too long now.

Txx
  • kernow, yeah bless hubs! hes so excited! will be so nice for him to start a career for himself. im 26 weeks today! woohoo! hellooooo 3rd trimstre!

good luck with researching childminders! lol thats gonna be a mission i reckon1 cant beleive u have to start making these decsions so soon! sucks that the head isnt being v flexible either! hope u can sort something out that suits u and noah image so back in july, but onyl 2 days so thats good news! it seems to have gone sooo fast!

tilty, YAY! your on mat leave now! woooooop! glad u have everything ready to go! all u need now is ur baby! image obem is still on, trust them doing antenatal classes when obem s on how rude! LOL thats practically an antentatal class watching it! hehe. sounds like ur body is starting to get ready for little ones arrival! thats all good tho, hopefully u wont go too overdue! did u get any prezzies or anything nice from ur last day of work?

susie, yeah went to physio but didnt really help much, have been doing the excersises, but havent really noticed a difference, hopefully it will sort itself out soon tho image i reeeeally thought u would of had ur baby by now! i keep checking ur fb everyday! LOL. ur banaba muffins sound amazing! uve gone and done it now coz i reeeeally fancy some now u mention them! so glad u had a nicer mw this time, seems she has put u at ease! hopefully the next time we speak to u, u will of had ur baby x x x x

ladyt, busy lady! sorry ur hol didnt go quite as u had hoped! but at least u got some work doen and had a break from everyday life image lol wow ur family must be soooooper excited as theyre already buying! bless them, ur little one is gonna be spoilt rotten! *which is all good of course* image soooo glad ur 16 weeks soon! for some reason 16 weeks for me, i was most excited about getting to, no idea why, but just in my head i would think, once im 16 weeks i think thats far enough along to buy things etc etc. so that was my little milestone.

no more news or updates from me, same old. just cant wait to cuddle our baby!!!!! xxxxxxxx
  • Hey Susiee - I remember a lot of my friends whose baby's were late said the same about how annoying it is when people keep asking. They were like "if it was here you would know so as I ahven't said it's here it obviously isn't!" I guess that was one of the benefits of having an early baby!

Glad midwife reassured you I'm genuinly excited about your birth and can't wait to hear how it goes - especially the pool bit.

Mrsme - wow 3rd trimester!!! Time really will fly by!

xxx
  • LadyT, good to hear from you! Really glad your holiday went well, even if it was a bit strange at first not being able to join in with everything. It sounds quite productive in terms of dissertation etc. though!

I got my actual risk score from the nuchal test but that might be because I had it done privately (they don't offer it on the NHS here). I had another blood test that looks at the risk of spina bifida on the NHS, and for that one I only got told I was 'low' risk - no actual numbers. Maybe they don't give out the actual risk to avoid people worrying about what the numbers mean / comparing with friends and then getting worried etc?

As yours has come back low I really wouldn't worry as I'm sure they would have told you if there was any cause for concern. If you really do want to know then hopefully your midwife could find out, but bear in mind that amnio has risks too (something like a 1 in 100 risk of miscarriage?) so you could easily end up going a bit mad weighing up different probabilities for different risks if you were trying to decide whether to go for amnio or not based on your actual result. Low risk sounds to me like you really can stop worrying about that particular concern (as much as it is possible stop worrying about anything in pregnancy that is!)

Kernow, I haven't had many more AF type cramps over the past day or so, so I don't think it was anything starting off... well, it probably is all related to things getting ready somehow, but I do still feel like it'll be a while yet (although I know surprises happen, and I know you went from feeling normal to full blown labour pretty fast!) I haven't really had any other signs though. All my books say I am likely to be getting lots of BH now, but just to be awkward, I am having far fewer now than I did at about 34-35 weeks! No increase in CM or anything either... Fingers crossed it won't happen too early, because although I'm really impatient to meet my baby FINALLY, I'm also really hoping I get time to enjoy some rest and relaxation (my last in a while I imagine!)

Susiee, that totally makes sense about all the 'have you had it' calls - I've already had a relative telling me (in all seriousness) that if they phone me from now on and I'm not home they'll assume I'm in hospital having the baby! I had to tell them that I am *fairly* likely to be leaving the house for other reasons in the meantime, and please don't start thinking like that! I can see how that kind of thing must all put the pressure on when it starts happening all the time... I'm not even 38 weeks yet so goodness knows how bad it must get if you are actually overdue! I really enjoyed all the antenatal classes thanks, and met some really nice people locally which is great. Always good to know other people off work at the same time and to have people to compare notes with! Glad you're feeling better after seeing your midwife, and good luck with the sweep on Monday. Fingers crossed!

mrs*me* congrats on being in the third trimester! I found that time started to go a bit faster from about that point on (it REALLY dragged at first, but I guess that's the same for everyone!) Hopefully it won't seem like all that long now until your baby is here image I had a nice pub lunch with everyone at work and lots of sweets etc. on my last day, which was all really nice. I still don't really feel like I'm on maternity leave yet - it kind of just feels like a normal weekend! I'll enjoy not having to wake up early on Monday morning though!

Right, it's well and truly past my bedtime now so time to get some sleep I think (while I still can!) I've got my 38 week midwife appt. on Mon so fingers crossed the baby is still head down and maybe the head is even starting to engage now... I'll let you know how it goes!

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and I'll speak to you all soon. Night night! xx
  • Hello!

Just popping in to let you all know the latest and to ask anyone who reads this before tomorrrow afternoon to cross your fingers for me!

I had my 38 week check today and am still only measuring 34 weeks, which means that not only am I now outside the range of what is considered 'normal' but also there appears to have been no growth at all since the 36 week check (and only 1cm since the check before). I was actually kind of expecting it and said to hubby on the way to the appointment that I didn't feel like I'd grown at all... The heartbeat was fine which was reassuring, but I am booked in for a growth scan tomorrow to see what's going on.

It's possible the measurements from outside just aren't providing an accurate picture and the baby is growing fine (fingers crossed!) but if the scan agrees that it is outside the 'normal' range and isn't growing well inside anymore then apparently they may decide to induce me! image

I still have my fingers crossed that it's all fine and a perfectly normal size, but I must admit I do feel pretty small and have also been aware I haven't really been getting bigger... Really don't fancy an induction though so please cross your fingers for me there's a harmless explanation for everyhting!

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow, assuming they don't decide to keep me in... Eek! xxx
  • Tilty: fingers crossed for you hun xxx It prob just that you are small and baby is curled up xxx hope so anywayxx will be thinking of you xxx
  • Have everything crossed for you Tilty - I'm sure everything will be fine and there is nothing at all to worry about. Do keep us posted and fingers crossed they don't keep you in for an induction.

Txx
  • omg good luck tilty! all mine and peanuts fingers and toes are crossed for u! so thats many fingers and toes! lol. all the best! will be thinkig of you! x x x x
  • Thanks for all the crossed fingers - I'm pleased to report that I am still here! image

The baby measured fine - it is slightly on the small side but well within the normal range. So not a whopper, but not a real tiddler either. I asked the midwife why my measurements were so small and she said it might just be that it has lots of space because of my height (although I'm only 5"7 so not huge or anything!) Anyway, whatever the reason, it's a normal size and the placenta / fluid etc. look fine.

The head is only 1/5 engaged so it's not looking like anything's going to happen too imminently, although I know surprises happen... It's looking good for me getting a few more lie-ins yet though!

How's everyone else doing? xx
  • looks like congrats are in order for Susiee!!! Go read her facebook page for info!

Tilty: so glad everything is normal and all good .... now you can enjoy the rest of your free time

Jen xx
  • Oh wow - congratulations Susiee! Brilliant news, and I'm so happy for you image Really looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing photos when you feel up to it, but in the meantime, enjoy being a mummy! xxx
  • great news tilty, glad all is ok with u and baby image

heh susie congrats to u, hubs and baby daniel, glad all is well! u will have to fill us in when u have time as i have no clue what meconium is? glad ur both healthy tho image

xxxxxxxx
  • Hi,

I know I've already said so on facebook but susiee - HUGE HUGE congratulations. I'm sorry you didn't get your homebirth in the traditional sense but so pleased baby is fine. A good weight and a lovely name! I hope you're home now? And feel OK. Massive well done on being a mummy - looking forward to seeing some pictures and to hearing more about it. Enjoy your new addition!

Tilty - phew what a relief that baby is a good size. I guess the outside measurements aren't really that accurate as so many things can affect it but really pleased all is going well. I know you only have a ocuple of weeks left but can you remind me of your actual due date?

How is everyone else doing?

All is well in the Goodwin house, it's a lovely sunny day so having just walked the dogs I'm now off on a 3 mile stroll with the pram in the sunshine! (I can't combine dog walking with long pram walks unfortunately as Talek just can't manage it with his artritis - bless him!)Although Noah is being very grumpy and tetchy today so may be safer not to inflict his screams on the quiet countryside!

Hope you're all ok xx
  • Kernow, my due date is 4th April - a week on Monday! image

Hope you're enjoying all the walking in the sunshine. It's been gorgeous weather here too - really quite hot! It's a lovely week to have be at the start of my maternity leave. I've actually been quite busy - meeting up with people / getting things done around the hosue etc., but I much remember to book in a day or two of doing absolutely nothing while I still can! I don't feel like anything is going to happen soon and the head is only one fifth engaged, but I know that might be famous last words and I could get a little surprise any time now!

Susiee, hope you're home now and recovering well. I know you will be very busy and will have PLENTY of distractions at the moment, but I really am looking forward to seeing some photos of Daniel and hearing your birth story whenever you have time and feel up to it. Thinking of you! image

I just realised that I'm next - eek!

Hope everyone else is well? xx
  • Hi ladies

Susiee - massive congrats hun!!! Am looking forward to hearing your BS when you have a mo and are home. As I said on FB Daniel is a lovely name and I can't wait to see some piccys!!

Tilty: wow only a week to go!!!! how exciting lovely weather you are having too!! I love the names you said before, my OH was quite partial to Tess as well. Make sure you enjoy your last bit of freedom! and have plenty of sleep lol

Mrsme: how you doing?? how are you finding antinatal classes?? Meconium is baby's first poo and when they are distressed it can show up in your waters during labour. Its a sticky tar like substance and quite dodgy if baby swallows it as it can cause probs with breathing.

Kernow: sounds like Noah is teething.. I read somewhere today that they can start at 3 months so looks like he's bang on schedule! Love the sound of the long walks in the countryside spec in this lovely weather

Caitlin had her injections today :cry: she really screamed which was horrible... she really has the bottom lip wobble down to a fine art as even the nurse commented on it! I asked her to check out her ear and she said to see the doc so I did and she has an ear infection image so she is on antibiotics... between the two of us I think I should get shares!

Hope T is ok andd everyone is enjoying the weather

Jen xx
  • Hi Jen - Yes I think it is teething (already!!). He's dribbling like mad, chewing his fist all the time and has little rosy cheeks and is a right old mardy bum at the moment. I asked the hv about it and she said it probably is but that it could take a few months still to come through and just be a prolonged process (I really hope not!!) or it could come through in a few days so we'll keep an eye on him. Got him some of those teething rings but they're too big for his mouth but someone suggested dentinox so going to try that too.

Tilty - wow only just over a week to go!!! How exciting! Enjoy the sunshine and get some rest (trust me you'll regret it if you don't!!) and I echo what Jen said - sleep as much as you can! I remember the night before Noah was born I had a terrible nights sleep and felt knackered all day and just thought I won't have a nap I'll just have an early night tonight.... Famous last words as I then spent all night labouring and 3 months later I still haven't caught up on that night's sleep!!

Love to all xxx
  • Aw, poor Caitlin having injections AND antibiotics - what a double whammy! Hope she's feeling much better now and there is no more cause for any impressive lip wobbling image

Kernow, it sounds like poor Noah is suffering too, oh dear! Teething sounds horrible - fingers crossed it happens really quickly and is over and done with soon.

I've really been enjoying the time off and sunshine and have got quite a few things done. The trouble is I'm finding it quite hard to sleep at the moment, so am not really making the most of the snooze time, as much as I want to! It's a cruel trick of nature that sleeping gets so difficult towards the end of pregnancy, just when you need it most! I think I need to work on the fine art of afternoon napping, which I've never been very good at - might have a go today and see whether I can manage it!

LadyT, Mrs*me* and Susiee, hope all is well. Speak soon and enjoy the weekend! xxx
  • Great to hear from you Susiee!

It sounds like it has been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, but everyone I have spoken to has warned me that's what it is like after the birth, so it sounds like you are completely normal! I'm sure I have all of this to come myself in a very short time...

I can't really give any advice about the feeding / emotions after the birth etc. yet obviously, but hopefully the others who have had their babies might be able to help.

Please don't feel down about the c-section though. I have thought myself that if I have to have one I might feel disappointed, but then again it sounds like it was necessary because of the meconium, and the single most important thing really is that Daniel arrived well and safely. It sounds like you got to experience labour for quite a while at home first, and although it must be disappointing not have the birth you had planned, please don't feel in any way down about what happened given the medical circumstances.

Will you post a birth story at some point, once you feel up to it?

Take care of yourself and please don't put too much pressure on yourslef about the feeding / sleeping etc - all of my friends who have breastfed have warned me it can be very challenging at first, but it DOES get easier!

I'm really looking forward to seeing some photos of Daniel soon image Huge congrats again!

I hope everyone else is well?

I'm due a week today! No sign of anything happening early at the moment... I've had very mild period pains on and off for the past 2-3 weeks or so, but they haven't changed / got more frequent or anything in all this time, so I really don't think they mean anything is imminent. Maybe just to do with the head engaging or something? (Although at the last check it was only 1/5 engaged). No twinges / show / crazy nesting urges etc. yet - I'm still predicting a late baby but we shall see! Next midwife appt. is on my due date! I wonder whether they'll offer me a sweep then, or leave it until I'm actually overdue (assuming I get that far).

I'll keep you all posted - hope everyone is well and speak soon!

xxx
  • Hello all

I really shouldn't leave so long between posts as so much is happening!

Susiee, first of all major congrat on your lovely baby - really excited to see some pictures when you have time (which I suspect won't be for a little while!). I have no idea what those first few days after the birth are like but they do sound really overwhelming. I'm sure everything you're feeling is perfectly normally and everyone goes through the same thing - you'll get more confident about what baby is telling you the more practise you have.

Like Tilty says, we'd love to hear the birth story when you get time to reflect.

Tilty, wow, can't believe your due date is so close. Take care of yourself in these next few days and keep us posted on how you're doing. You know we're all going to be checking FB constantly to find out if anything is happening!

Jen - hope little Caitlin is feeling better after her injections. Saw on FB that you managed to get both little ones down together for a nap - what a luxury that must have been!!

Kernow, had no idea that babies start teething so young!! Hope he's not too grizzly for long!!

Mrs M - hope you're OK?

I'm good - very very near to completing my dissertation (sorry, I know very boring news) but I can see the end in sight and start breathing a massive sigh of relief that its nearly out of the way! On baby news, actually put a deposit on a pram this weekend - well, mum put a deposit on a pram for me. Kind of early, but hey, its kind of the biggest thing to buy so good to get it out of the way early on.

BTW - thanks for the advice on the risk score - I had my 16 week appt last week so for peace of mind (or added worry depending on how you look at it) I asked my midwife if she could find out for me what my actual risk was. Luckily it was 1 in 22000 which I think is pretty good odds and so feel really pleased for having asked.

Anyway, my bed is calling to me. Lots of love to all

Txxx