Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what would you do?

Hi, was just looking for some opinions...

My dad works in the film industry and has given my partner a job. But its in Spain, and it starts in March. So now I'm unsure weather to go or stay. Its only for a few Months, and the rest of the filming will be in Africa and Thailand, and as I was a well travelled child because of my dads job, I'd love for my boys to have the experience of living abroad, and discovering new cultures.

The only problem is, my Sons education. He's in reception year at school, and is doing really well. We can arrange for home schooling while were away, but I dont want to unsettle him. My 3year old son is in nursery, and my youngest is only 15months, so thats not a problem.

So as much as I'd love to go, and have my boys come along for the experience, I'm thinking it may be better for me and my boys to stay, and my partner to go on his own, because of his schooling.

I'd really appreciate your opinions on this, what would you do?

Replies

• wow, what a tricky situation. Listen to your gut feeling as that will give you the answer.
    It would be a wonderful experience for you all as a family...but you also dont want to upset them...BUT kids are very good at changing and adapting and also settling back in...
    You know your children better then anyone else and you know your gut feeling better then anyone else
    xxxxxx
  • Thanks Corrinne! I'm going to arrange to sit down with his teachers and talk to them about it. If it means he will lose his place at school then I'll stay as his school is one of the best in the borough, plus all his friends are there that he knew from nursery!
    I'll have to see what they say!
    x x x
  • That's what I would say.Chat with your son's teachers,they may well be supportive.You might be able to get some work for while your away.Travelling will give your children experiences a school education never will,and reception year is still very young.Some kids cope well with change.Depends also how long you'll be away.You don't want to lose a place at a good school if you intend to go back to that after,and you don't want your son to have to start again settling into school.By the time you come back in a few months,his school mates will have moved on into Year 1,which is a lot more structured than reception,from what I know of our schools.Through reception the children slowly work towards that through the year.It might be harder to settle in to that than reception.

I hope you find  a way to travel,as it is a fantastic opportunity  for all of you if that's what you really want.

• Thanks! I'm going to arrange to sit with the teachers and discuss it tomorrow. We can easily arrange home schooling while we're away, so that wouldn't be a problem. I hope the schools is supportive!
    Fingers crossed!! image
  • Hi hope your chat went wellimage was going to add,I would go,most definately. You've had the priveledge of travelling,sounds like they were happy times,would be a fantastic experience for little ones,and yes,would be sad to loose his place in school,but you never know,you might really enjoy home schooling!

Hope all works out for you and your family x x

• Yeah ur right! They might never have this opportunity again! I have an appointment with the school next week anyway, so I'll see how that goes!
    Thanks!!
  • Good luck.

I have never travelled,and although I don't regret it-because you can't long for something that you've never done/tried -if I could offer the lads the chance I would,their dad lived in Holland for years and he really enjoyed his time there,was a wonderful experience for him and his family.

Bet you're a bundle of nerves??? Excited,undecided etc....... exciting times!!!! x