Forum home General Chat General chat

How do you keep your toddler away from medicinces

Hi ladies,

How do you teach your toddler not to touch/take any medicine/pills that are in the house? Where do you keep them so they're out of harms way? Did you talk to your toddler about staying clear or medicines in the house?

Please share your thoughts on how you keep your toddler safe at home for Practical Parenting magazine.

Many thanks,

Liz, PP. 

Replies

• My now 7 year old would eat anything medicine wise she could lay her hands on.We were and still are very careful about keeping the medicines in a box out of reach,but when she was about two and I was pregnant with number 4 she got my handbag and found a pack f ibuprofen I'd forgotten I had in there because I hadn't used it for a while being pregnant.She ate two,she just popped them out the blister pack.Fortunately there were only two,that's how I hadn't known they were therebecause it was just a little bit cut off the pack.I'm lucky to have my mum on the end of the phone who's been a paediatric nurse her working life so I called her and she assured me she'd be fine,which she was.

Same child also ate two rennies and most of a pack of contraceptive pills,neither of which did any harm,but we do keep all the medicines in one place now,in a box,high up ,in a room they don't go in.It's very easy to have something in your handbag,in your drawer,where it's convenient when you need them.

• i'm having diffculty to talk sense to my son who is nearly 3 abt medicine. he loves eating medicine. dun know why?? he would loves his calpo and chinese medicine (very bitter). he can drink a whole lot of bitter chinese medicine!

so all my medicine, i kept it right on the top of the cupbroad in a seal tight bag. he wont be able to reach it even by standing on a stood.

• i clean out my calpol bottles and keep nurofen,iron tabs,paracetamol etc inside these with labels on them so i know whats what luckily my two and a half yr old wouldnt know how to open but just to be sure they are kept in the cupboard above my worktops...just to be safe!