Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

It is Christmas after all...

Is this mad or is it just me?

Our school says that we can't call Christmas activities "Christmas" this year as the word Christmas may offend or exclude some religious groups. We need to use the word "winter" instead or find another substitute.

So it's Happy Winter and a Bah Humbug all round!

I'd be really interested to know your views 

Replies

• Options

I think ,without any offence to any religion,or anyone's beliefs,this is Britain,we tolerate every race and religion in our country except the one it seems that is our own.Whether you hold Christian beliefs or not Christmas is Christmas,a British Christmas is just that,Christmas.It's more about our culture than religion for most people,Father Christmas,Christmas pudd,Christmas cake,turkey,tree,and presents,less to do with the Christian origins and more a celebration,and everyone having a good time and something to look forward to in the middle of winter.

We need to be proud of our traditions,and sharing them, not afraid we might offend someone by celebrating them.

• Options

I think it's political correctness gone mad.

I feel for the people it offends,but this is britain as Jo pointed out,it is our tradition,we were predominantly a christian culture,hence the name,and to call it something else whilst at school is a bit silly I think.

I attended a very multi-racial/cultural school,I was never offended by ramadamn,etc....they didn't have to re-name anything for us,we all took part in duvali celebrations,think everyone should celebrate everyones culture,more happiness and cheer all round I say!

• Options

I think it is mad too, it is CHRISTMAS!   In Woking they no longer have a santa's grotto as  it is not multi cultural!

At the childminders and I am sure other nurserys they teach about other relgions to a degree and made Happy eid cards last year!   its good to know / experience etc!  Grr these things make me a little bit cross!

If Christmas tought us to hate other people / relgions/ cultures then fair enought but it isnt is about love and family time really! 

If you live in this country to a degree you should be prepared to experience our countries rituals etc.   When we visit other countries we have to abide by their rules - so fair is fair!

• Options

surely we should tolerate all religions and beliefs not just those of the ones the politicians are afraid of offending.

If we have to abide by the laws and traditions of the countries we choose to visit and emigrate to then the people that visit and emigrate here should abide by ours.

Politcal correctness at it's worst image

Rant over sorry  image things like this make me so mad

• Options

This is political correctness gone mad again!!!

Too many right-on teachers I would have thought.

We should recognise and embrace all faiths - if that was Ramadan that was suggested to change the name there would have been an outcry. Double standards from too many goodie2shoes!!!