Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is your toddler social?

Hi everyday!

I'm looking for your top tips for how you taught your toddler to be social.

How did you teach them to say please and thank you?

Has your child learnt to wait for their turn to speak before butting in?

Do they say sorry without being told?

Please share your tips on here or email me on Liz.stansfield@magicalia.com.

Many thanks,

Liz, PP x

Replies

• I always teach please and thankyou from the moment they can sit up and take notice.Merlin's learnig to talk,he has quite a few words,and when he gives me something,or I  give him something, he now says thankyou,and I say it back.He just associates that word with giving and  receiving.He was saying tawhich I hate,it just sounds so chavvy,but it's finally thankyou.I think it's important to teach by example ,always say please and thankyou yourself and they'll do the same.

Sorry is something we struggle with.Arwen's got it,she can see that if you hurt or upset someone,even if you didn't  mean to then you should say sorrySometimes she needs to be reminded,but usually just says it.Matilda,a year younger ,refuses to say sorry.She's very good on her excuse mes.

As for taking turns when speaking I think it's usually more a case of he who shouts the loudest,but that's just at home,and I do have to intervene so everyone gets a turn to speak.

• charlie pretty much learnt to say please and thank you from about 5 months old because i used sign language with him so he used it right up till he started talking he also would say that he had finished eating etc by using sign language