Forum home General Chat General chat

Home Schooling

i am thinking of home schooling my children is there any teachers out there that thinks this ia a good or bad idea and any advice on people that are already doing it would be nice would like some advice on where to get resources from thanks got the local athority coming out and yes not very good at english but would have to get a teacher guild to all that

Replies

• Hey,

Just seen this as bored and nosing through threads.

I'm a teacher and wouldn't recommend home schooling.

Mainly for the social aspect of being in school with other kids, sharing toys etc, waiting to ask a question, learning to interact appropriately with other kids.

What will you do when they go to high school? Would you teach them that too? They would really struggle to fit in I think.

I've taught kids that have come from a small class (in a school but only 3-5 other kids) and they have massively struggled to adapt to a classroom setting and there has been behaviour issues. They are used to getting lots of attention and not happy to wait their turn or share you with other kids.

I also think kids have a different type of respect for a teacher than a parent.

Out of interest - why do u want to home school?

If your adamant that's what you want to do make sure you download the education policies, any school plans you can find and ask any teachers for advice.

Good websites include TES, Woodlands junior school website, primary resources, sparklebox.

Good luck!
  • I am also a teacher and hold the position of Head of Year at my school. We have taken in several pupils who have been taught at home previously. In every case the parents have been amazed at how well their children have come on within their first year with us. Obviously I am biased, but there is so much more to school than education. xx
  • well i was going to put them into high school i don't think my children are getting what they should as one child is deaf and has diffrent teachers all the time i do understand that teachers are allowed a part time job but surely they should put 2 part time teachers in for my oldest her teacher all but ammited she don't help her she said she does not do enough work so she don't know if she can do it so does not help her i might try to see if i can move them i would not beable to homeschool now as i am having another child

thank you for your input