Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Telling the family!

Hey guys, I am new to all of this! I am currently 5 weeks pregnant and over the moon! I am 20 years old, and have been with my boyfriend 3 years and this is something we both really want! The only thing is I am terrified of telling my mum and dad, I know they will be so disapointed and that will just generally make me either depressed or furious (hormones!) I have been pregnant before when 16 and had a termination with their help image They really are the most amazing parents, helped me all my life. Today I am a student Nurse a year and a half through the course and I can go on MAT leave! I also have just got a part time job at QVC to help my situation *WOOP image*. But before I tell them i want to sort out my future plans, literally show them I know what I am doing! But I will need there help I know it! Any advice on breaking this news? Any at all is appricated!!!! xxxxxx image

Replies

• Options

Do you live with your parents or your boyfriend?

• Options

hi mummy2bex congratulations! I guess it does depend on how heavily this will affect your mum and dad, if you and your boyfriend have your own place and can cope financially and your mum and dad get to do the usual grandparent roles then they really should only be happy for you. If you live with them and they are going to have to support you and the baby then this is tough on them too so they will need time to let things sink in.

I think you're right about getting your future plans sorted - actively looking into housing/entitlements and thinking about not just the initial part with a tiny baby but how you're going to return to work/study and how you will make it all work. your mum and dad might well be happy to support you with some of this, but if you can tell them your news and show them you've been proactive and have a plan they may well come to terms with it more quickly.

A new baby in the family is a joy for everyone, even if it doesnt seem that way initially x