Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Say NO to tax on child support

Hi

I am a single Mum working full time, like everyone else I have seen the cost of living go up with inflation and the VAT rise. Most people will see their wages fall with the NI increase.  But families with children, like myself, have seen their child tax credits cut, the Chid Trust Fund scrapped, childcare credits cut, Sure Start centres are closing, and now child maintenance payments will be taxed!! 

You can read the Gvnts consultation paper and respond directly at
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/consultations/2011/strengthe ning-families.shtml

You can say NO to a tax on child maintenance by signing an online petition at

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/taxingkids/
Please sign the petition and encourage others to sign too!

Currently one parent will pay, for example, £200 to CSA and the other parent will get £200 for child.

The proposal is one parent will pay £240 to CSA and the other parent will only get £176 for child.

Both parents are charged! the first (up to 40%, the second up to 12%)

For most people if you do not use the new system and accept the charge you will not get any money.

You should also know you will have to pay £100 to apply to use the new system, then they take the monthly charge, then, if you need to enforce a payment they will charge you again!

This is not fair! It is too much money taken away from people who have little to begin with!

Please sign the petition

Replies

• What!  I am not in the situation where we need to use the CSA as I am still together with my husband but how can they tax that!  Its already been taxed when the person got paid the wage to pay the maintenance?   

Also the biggest impact is on the child - for a change!!!!

•  I think that is just ludicrous!!  Its double taxation surely?  Like Charmaine has said, the person paying has already been taxed, and then to have it taxed again?  And its meant to be for the benefit of the child/children.  These idiots really havent got a clue!!

I will definately be signing the petition!

• Just wondering what they will think of taxing next!   image
  • Hi

Since I started the petition on 18 feb I have got almost 900 signatures. the single parent charity gingerbread is supporting my petition and it has launched a campaign to stop the charges and you can get more information on their website.

the Gvnt consultation period on this proposal ends next week on 7 april 2011 and i strongly recommend that you respond to their consultation paper if you are directly affected before the deadline http://www.dwp.gov.uk/consultations/2011/strengthening-families.shtml

I will be handing in the petition soon so I would like to get as many signatures over the next few days as possible and it would be great to reach 1000. I have been spreading this by word of mouth and on forums etc and people who sign it have been telling people too- thankyou. if you have nto done so already please sign the petition!