Forum home General Chat General chat

Ironing...with three kids..am i mad?!

So...I have three little ones,aged 4 and under, (and my OH who is a big kid!) and as you can imagine I have a constant stream of laundry to contend with which leads to mountainous towers of ironing which consume hours of my evening!

My friends and other mums I have met say I am mad (even my GP who is also a mum of three told me I should ease up on it!) and that I am making more work for myself as they don't bother, especially with their little ones clothes. but I have always been a stickler for ironing and crumpled clothes drive me mad..even though ironing does leave me feeling knackered every evening (I can't do any during the day with my LOs around, as you can imagine!)

So my question is..where do you stand with regards the ironing debate... am I being to anal? should i back away from the iron (eye twitches) and embrace the creases? x

Replies

• Hi. Well to be honest i dont iron at all, i dont even have a iron. My friend irons everything,socks,bed sheets pants and so on... all i can say is each to there own if you feel you need to iron then iron, i hoover and mop everyday people say i dont need to but i like to. The only reason i dont iron is our clothes dont need it im allways washing tho as i have 3 children.. xx

• it may be better to back away from the iron and embrace the creases as further down the line the high expectations will lead to a high bar of standards that you will expect for all time moving forward and apply to all aspects of family life. Having experienced the same and then being told to relax when the kids are much older is a real blow, it can strain the relationships at home creating a feeling of resentment that why you are doing the ironing and others are not participating. Ofcourse if there was no ironing in the first place to be done then the added stress would be negated. Hope it helps.

• Thanks for your replies Tulisax & Natalie21...I have just finished a massive pile of ironing and definitely considering ways of reducing the amount i do!! My husband has actually just told me i don't have to iron most of his stuff as he doesn't mind (wish he had told me before!) so that is something..although I'm not sure how long it will last! :) 

• I am sure he will understand that the workload is just too much and happy to even assist. Thanks for your reply!!!!