Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Did/would you get married (if you weren't already) once you got pregnant?

Hello.

We're intrigued by today's rumours that Benedict 'Sherlock' Cumberbatch and his pregnant partner Sophie Hunter have been sending out speedy wedding invites, so they can get spliced before their baby is born.

Of course, back in the day, everyone used to get married before they had a child – even if it had to be a shotgun wedding!

But now plenty of folks have babies together without feeling an pressure to walk up the aisle.

Don't they?

We're wondering how you all feel about the baby/wedding thing?

If you are pregnant, or planning to be, would you want to be married (if you're not already) before the baby's born? If so, is it just an emotional thing - or more of a practical decision?

Perhaps it's more that it's something that your family expect of you now there's a child on the horizon?

Or does marriage not matter any more to you (or your family) than it did before motherhood came into the equation? 

Do please let us know what you think by posting on this thread!

Replies

• Valentine's Day 2013 my hubbie proposed to me (after nearly 15 years together) - a week later we found out we were pregnant with our first! We were never going to have a long engagement because of how long we have been together, but we decided to speed it up even faster as we wanted to be married before James was born. 3.5 months after the engagement we were married with a small baby bump showing in my dress. It wasn't a secret that I was pregnant and we would have got married within a year anyway, it was just speeded up so that I could enjoy the day without being too heavily pregnant. Was strange being the sober one and a sober hen do too but I wouldn't change anything. Some of our wedding pictures focus on my growing belly and I'll happily show James the wedding pictures when he is older and let him know that he was part of the day still. If anything it made the day more special as all the big fancy wedding ideas went out the window and the wedding became simpler and more magical as becoming a family unit rather than a lavish, fancy wedding was the main focus. For wedding gifts we asked for vouchers and money toward buying baby furniture etc.   

• I have to say I wouldn't like to be pregnant getting married. I got engaged at the end of November and we are ttc at the moment. my OH wanted to get married this year but I was against the idea as I said we wouldn't know how far along I could be if we do get pregnant and plus you could organise a wedding for near the end of the year and be about to give birth around the same time

• i for sure would NOT hurry it up!