Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Most men want to be stay-at-home dads. Really?

Hello! We’ve just been sent this survey that says two thirds of men say they'd be happy to be stay-at-home dads.

The survey, conducted by a law firm on 2,000 men and women, found that 66% of men would be happy to take on the role of stay-at-home dad, whilst another three quarters would happily work part-time in order to allow their partner to return full-time.

Another interesting but not so surprising figure the study revealed was that 72% per cent of women would be happy if their other half wanted to look after the children  - which we can totally believe!

So what do you think? Do you reckon your other half would like to be a stay-at-home dad?  
Or do you think these numbers are crazy talk, and the men were just fibbing?
Please do tell us by posting below. We'd love to know.

Replies

• My other half likes the idea of being able to "sit around at home all day playing with the kids" but since I started working nights and he's having to do "the night shift" and look after the kids and help out with housework while I sleep, I think he's realised there's a lot more to it than that!

i work nights and still do all my washing cleaning cooking etc aswell as the school run and looking after the kids AND going to the gym twice a week and taking pole dancing lessons lol. I honestly don't think he would cope with all that, the last time the baby kept him up all night he had the next day off work and slept half the day, and I just got on with it even though I'd just worked 3 nights in a row!

It takes a lot more to be a stay at home parent than people think!

• My hubby would love to be a stay at home Dad and I would prefer him to be! Unfortunately he's military so it's not possible at the moment but in the future he will leave and change jobs to part time and I will work full time. He will be the one doing the school run etc. 

he is wonderful with our daughter and has her every day when he's off and I work extra so he's fully aware of how much work is involved. We just know that for our family me being the one to work will be what works for us long term  

i think it's wonderful that parenting is becoming more of a 'team effort' with men doing much more and helping more. I found the old school view of 'the stay at home Mum' really contributed to my post natal depression and wasn't good for me. At the end of the day you have to do whatever works for your family

• My OH would not like to be a stsy at home dad. He works shifts and regular has a few days off at a time and he looks forward to going back to work for the rest haha.

He also appreciates how hard it is caring for a baby 24/7 and often tells me wgat a good job I am doing and how he wouldnt cope image x

• I think it's different for everyone, I know a few couples who have a full time working mum n stay at home dad abd it works great for them, we manage as we are. He's far too lazy to b at home all the time he needs to be at work. And I find working 4 nights a week means I get the best of both worlds. It's hard work but we make it work as best we can x

• My husband frequently comments about being 'a stay at home dad' and the days when I'm away with work he does really seem to enjoy looking after our little girl; but as soon has I get in he will say I'm just not sure how you do!

He seems very happy to be going back to work the next dayhttp://www.madeformums.com/lib/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

I agree it takes a lot of work to be at home looking after children; much easier to be at work sometimes. My toddler can cause chaos in a minute, my work colleagues take much longer lol x

• I stack shelves at tesco 9pm till 7am it's exhausting but actually easier than being at home lol x