Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

The best piece of mum advice you've ever been given?

A friend of mine has a little girl born in November 14, and her baby never sleeps! Her mum asked me what to do, and after suggesting swaddling/dummy/white noise, all the usual stuff, I said to her what a friend said to me when I was having my first: Don't worry, it's all a phase! (cause it's true - everything is a phase with babies!)

That's truly the best words of advice I've ever been given with regards to having babies - was wondering if any of you have any words of wisdom you might wanna share?

Replies

• Options

I think simply that when it comes to raising children there is very rarely a 'right' or 'wrong' way... What is MOST important (vital even) is that however you choose to parent, that you are consistent with it as that is how children develop trust, feel secure & learn.

Don't worry about comparing to others, don't listen to people who try to tell you your way is wrong / theirs is better... Every family is unique so every parenting approach must also be unique.

• Options

Breathe deep and count to ten or my 2 fave words..........ear plugs LOL 

• Options

My son (my second child) was born on 5th Nov & is not a sleeper so I feel for your friend. It wasn't advice that I was given but what I've read online & that they're only young once & it's our job to help them to take their time to understand the world they're now living in (so different for the 1 they spent their 1st 9 months in) & we shouldn't expect them to sleep or do other things the same as adults just because it's convenient for us!

Also 'All this will pass'!

• Options

treat people like you wanna be treated

• Options

The best advice I was given was start as you mean to go on... If you expect a 3 yr old to pick up toys then get them to pick up when they can get them out ( as a game is good ) if you don't want a 3 yr old using the sofa as trampoline don't allow it at 12 months etc.. My fav tho was learn them to say ta or thank you and please as soon as possible so they grow with good manners.

We have five children who I have followed this with, for the most part they are polite and well behaved kids who know how to put stuff back in a toybox!