Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Would you pay extra for fancy-dress outfits that are put through more safety tests?

Hello

We've all been moved beyond words at Strictly star Claudia Winkleman's interview about the night her 8-year-old daughter Matilda was badly burnt when her Halloween costume caught fire while they were out trick-or-treating.

'She went up, is the only way I know how to describe it,' Claudia tells the interviewer from BBC1's Watchdog.. 'It was a spark and she screamed out for me.

'It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and then they come back... it was really fast, it was fast, it wasn’t fire like I’d seen. We couldn’t put her out. Her tights had melted into her skin.'

How truly terrible that sounds! Our hearts really do go out to Claudia and Matilda.

Claudia was speaking to Watchdog because they've been testing out high-street fancy dress costumes to see how safe they are to wear. It turns out that, because fancy-dress costumes are classified as toys rather than clothes, less rigorous health and safety standards are applied to them.

So we wondered whether you'd like to see fancy-dress costumes tested to higher health and safety standards? And if so, whether you'd be prepared to pay more for them as a result? Or is the idea of forking out standard-clothes prices for fancy-dress something you wouldn't like at all?

Do let us know what you think by adding a post to this thread. We'd love to hear your views.

Replies

• I most definatly would be willing to pay more for a safe product. and until the are safe my child isn't going to be wearing any fancydress costumes unless I've made them... which is saying something! I can't sew but I'm going to have to learn it seems.