Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bedding qn

this has probably been done to death but....

how old were your littlies when you introduced a pillow and duvet? And any recs?

also would you use the, in summer? His nursery can often get up to 24 so I'm wondering whether to just hold off until autumn?

Replies

• Hi MrsP  We didn't give Isla a pillow or a duvet until she went into a bed at 2.5. She slept just fine in her cot in a sleeping bag so there was no need for us to try her with them any sooner. We put her in a bed when Maya was 6 months as we needed the cot for her.  When she went in to a bed we bought the silent night kids first complete bedding set, not sure what tog it is but she uses it all year round. we just change the type of pjs she wears to accommodate hotter weather or she just kicks the duvet off.

• Thanks MrsB, i was wondering whether to leave him in a bag, he's such a wriggler it might be better x

• Hey lovey!

O is 16months and still in a grobag. He's also such a wriggler, I'm sure during the night he sleeps on ever square inch of his cot! Anytime I look at his monitor he's in a different position in a different space!

He's still in 6-18month sleeping bags but I'm just about to order bigger sizes. We had the same problem last summer and I put O down in just a long sleeve vest and a 0.5 or 1 tog bag and he was ok with that x

• Ah thank you MDD, I suppose they wouldn't make bags up to 24 months if they weren't to be used til that age (although he's in 18-24 already as he's a long skinny minny).

Think I'll wait til after the summer x

• Same as everyone else. S is a proper wriggler too so I can't imagine he'd stay under a duvet for long. In the summer, we just gradually put him down in less and less layers until he was sleeping in nothing but a nappy but his room can reach 30+ degrees in the summer.

• I gave O a pillow when he was about a year old as he slept on one at my mum's and it stopped him wriggling so much! We only took out of bags and gave a duvet when he went into a proper bed at about 22 months. The benefit of doing it I'm the summer is that it doesn't matter if they kick the duvet off as it's warm enough without. It took O a little while to grasp the pulling it over himself to keep warm business!

• Ooh good point coco. Might wait til he's a little older and then try. Think I'll try a pillow soon, he's always had his cot inclined due to reflux so won't be too dissimilar I suspect.

• Coco do you put the pillow under their sheet? I was thinking of a pillow for O as I often find him sleeping right in one corner of the cot with his head on a soft toy! I think he would just pull it round the cot though if it wasn't the equivalent of being bolted down!

• I just git a cotbed pillow (not as deep as normal ones) and put it in the same as on our beds...on top of sheets etc. I thought the same with my O but it did tame him ;-)

• I might try a pillow in the near future then -thanks coco