Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A work WWYD? if you fancy advising...

I got this job May '13 and took a demotion for it. My new line manager was supposed to be moving on really soon and I would take the role on. To my mind I didn't need a pay rise to do his job, and I love working here. I'd like to work here forever, ha ha :)

The company has had lots of issues and challenges and we needed to keep my line manager on, (also due to my mat leave), so he stayed with us although I did most of the work. He's gone now and I am getting the promotion I've been waiting/hoping for. My boss wants a couple of days to put together a proposed remuneration package for the role. I don't want more money, but I want to drop to 4 days (I'm doing 4 days now but in Nov my holiday balance runs out and I go back to 5). I don't feel I can work 5 days routinely. I miss her too much as it is, *and* would like another baby.

Would you:

1. Be upfront with your boss at the meeting, try and sell him the 4 day a week proposal (he prefers everyone to be in every day, we have no part-timers) and forgo the payrise (or even take a small pay cut to 'pay for' the reduction in hours)

2. Take the pay rise, bank it in Aug/Sep/Oct, talk to him in November after trying 5 days, say it's too much and you'll give back the payrise to be able to do 4 days.

My boss is quite £££ driven so I thought that waiting and 'saving' him money later on might press his buttons, and also at least TRYING 5 days would mean I am showing willing and that I intended, when I proposed this last year, to go back to 5 days.

I don't want to mess this up, a regular weekday off with my girl means so much to me :)

Replies

• Options

I'd be up front. That way you're not messing him around later on if you find that what you agreed to isn't working and your work pattern needs to be re addressed.  You never know, he might be willing to listen to you.  Maybe even compromising on the number of 5 day weeks you work might be an idea?

• Options

Agree with RKB about being up front. I would just try and convince him to give it a try, if it is working now why wouldn't it work in the future. As RKB if necessary could you do an occasional five day week. Can you work from home or be on call form home?

• Options

I'd go for the angle that it's already working with the four day week so stick at it with no payrise, saves him money and you've already proved that you can do the job in four days.

• Options

Thanks ladies, I think you're right. I always go with upfront if at all possible. I feel much more comfortable. Hubby thinks that if I let my boss go to the trouble of putting something together it might look bad if I 'reject' it summarily. He thinks I have missed my chance and should have piped up when it was originally discussed. Also, I have a new number 2 starting in September and it might work better for me to have the conversation in November so I can point out I have someone good who is in every day and can pick things up on my day off, whereas at the moment we have someone who can't really be turned to in my absence, IYSWIM.

Argh!! Why can't we just win the lottery instead? Laugh

• Options

If you are taking a promotion wouldn't you be entitled to a pro rated salary increase even if you stuck with 4 days? I don't like to see people talking themselves out of ££ they're entitled to!

How is the 4 day week working currently? If well and you are already doing the role you're going to be promoted to your boss would be on shaky ground to refuse...

Hope it all works out for you.

• Options

Good point you make! But I was trying to get the best deal, I knew I wouldn't get a large enough rise to cover a subsequent 20% cut (5 days to 4), IYSWIM. Laugh

• Options

I would be up front with him and tell him the truth. If you're already managing to do the job the previous person was taking 5 days to do in 4 that's a pretty solid base to your argument. I also think it would be good to offer to 'work from home' on the Fridays aka check your emails, make a few phone calls and show general willing all while your little girl is sat with you. Good luck when you have the conversation!