Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Aldi people.

I have tried, tried, tried it and I think that its rubbish.  What do you buy from there?

Replies

• i buy everything from there. the only things i can't get is many spices and wild rice.

i dont like their frozen garlic bread or their makerel. other than that... all good.

• So, do you buy their own brand stuff?  I am a brand junkie

• When I last went I bought (from memory):-

Fruit - fruity

Veg - fresh

Quaver impersonators - kids loved them

Biscuits - a biscuit is a biscuit, they all got eaten

Dorito impersonators - not like the real thing

Olive oil - nicer than the one I was using and more of it for less

Fresh olives - nicer than the ones in the Tesco deli

Chorizo - meaty

Ground coffee - very nice

Tea - Tetley - win

Marmite - Marmite - 37p cheaper than Asda

Chicken - tender

Mince - as above and 500g for 400g Asda equiv

Curry Sauces - both v nice

Popadums - crispy

Squash - kids loved

Frozen pizza baguettes - 2 for 69p - demolished by kids

Vodka - Drinks

Gin -  Drinks Drinks

• Veg, meat, yoghurts, diff cheeses, tinned stuff, packs of filled pasta (the kids love it), crisps, biscuits.

• Oh yeah I got the filled pasta too, they do 2 types fresh (about 99p) and vacuum packed (69p). I don't normally like the vacuum packed stuff but their pesto pasta was really nice.

• Veg - better than supermarkets

Fruit - last longer than supermarkets

Bread/croissants/pastries/rolls/pittas/tortillas etc - never had an issue, we don't buy the plastic bread but nice granary ones

Sweets and crisps and biscuits for kids

Cereals for kids - they don't know any different

Meats - fab so much better quality than supermarket 3 for £10

Stilton/Camembert - I think bigger portions than usual supermarket

Smoked salmon - much more for your money

Toilet and kitchen roll - no issue

Nappies and wipes - good quality

Milk - milk is milk

Kids yogurts - no complaints

We don't really have much frozen food, the chips are chips and the nuggets are nuggets tbh, iv not tarted them

My h is funny about mayo so we still get helmans although as an experiment I filled a Helmans jar with Aldi mayo and he did still tell the difference

Aldi ketchup I don't use it and the kids eat it fine as they don't know the difference

• Just replying to CP first

Veg - better than supermarkets - I disagree, Aldi hasn't lasted with me

Fruit - last longer than supermarkets - I disagree, Aldi hasn't lasted with me

Bread/croissants/pastries/rolls/pittas/tortillas etc - never had an issue, we don't buy the plastic bread but nice granary ones - I go to the bakers

Sweets and crisps and biscuits for kids - I go to Farmfoods

Cereals for kids - they don't know any different - Again Farmfoods, its got to be branded lol

Meats - fab so much better quality than supermarket 3 for £10 - either the Butchers, but I must admit I have had some from Aldi and it was good

Stilton/Camembert - I think bigger portions than usual supermarket - don't buy it

Smoked salmon - much more for your money - don't buy it

Toilet and kitchen roll - no issue - Kitchen roll from Farmfoods, toilet roll whatever is on offer

Nappies and wipes - good quality - Buy pampers wipes from Farmfoods (89p)

Milk - milk is milk - Farmfoods 2 for £1.50

Kids yogurts - no complaints - Liam didnt like them when I bought them

We don't really have much frozen food, the chips are chips and the nuggets are nuggets tbh, iv not tarted them - Farmfoods lol lol

My h is funny about mayo so we still get helmans although as an experiment I filled a Helmans jar with Aldi mayo and he did still tell the difference - Hellmans all the way

Aldi ketchup I don't use it and the kids eat it fine as they don't know the difference - I don't either, I buy Tesco value and put it in the Heniz bottle

• Fruit - fruity - see above

Veg - fresh - see above

Quaver impersonators - kids loved them - might try them

Biscuits - a biscuit is a biscuit, they all got eaten - only buy jaffa cakes, usually from Farmfoods or Tesco on offer

Dorito impersonators - not like the real thing - don't buy

Olive oil - nicer than the one I was using and more of it for less - will try that

Fresh olives - nicer than the ones in the Tesco deli - don't buy

Chorizo - meaty - I have actually had that from there, will get it again

Ground coffee - very nice - don't drink coffee, but my mum gets hers from B&M bargains, 99p a packet if that helps you

Tea - Tetley - win - don't drink tea

Marmite - Marmite - 37p cheaper than Asda - don't buy it

Chicken - tender - I have had the chicken from there, it was nice

Mince - as above and 500g for 400g Asda equiv - I'll give that a go, handy to have in the freezer

Curry Sauces - both v nice - will give them a go

Popadums - crispy - don't really buy

Squash - kids loved - Farmfoods again for that lol

Frozen pizza baguettes - 2 for 69p - demolished by kids - will give them a go

Vodka - Drinks- I am a Smirnoff girl

Gin -  Drinks Drinks- I am a Gordons girl, but I saw the reviews for Aldi gin

• Abnormal Kitty

Veg, meat, yoghurts, diff cheeses, tinned stuff, packs of filled pasta (the kids love it), crisps, biscuits.

What is the filled pasta?

• Belle

Booze.

ROTFL

• I think that I will give it a little go again maybe on Friday and buy some of the tips.  I want to have a BBQ on the 6th July, so could get stuff for the freezer

• We don't even have one close by the nly time I shop there is in Spain. Or maybe that's a Lidl. All the same though, Disaronno for something like 3euros!

• I buy the olive spread, prepacked salmon, eggs, wine, beer, dried fruit (raisins and cranberries), milk, sugar, flour, mince and some other meats, biscuits and dog food and dog treats. There's probably more I've missed off.

• I don't shop in there as they don't have everything I need and I can't be arsed to go to 2 different shops (I buy quorn). But my parents do and buy those nice chocolate topped rectangle biscuits and fruit muesli which is gorgeous!

• I've literally just been and bought

Biscuits, branded and own brand, bith chaper

Chocolate

Crisps for kids

Cereal

Tinned kidney beans

Bagged salad, much bigger bag than tesco

Chicken

Cheese, just normal cheddar

Yogurts (muller corner copies, h loves them and half the price)

Ice lollies (mini milk and magnum fakes)

Milk

Ham for sandwiches - at least half the price of tesco

Pinot blush - just to try it!

Tea tree oil - great price if you use it!

Veg, never had issues

Nappies are also as good as pampers

I guess fruit/veg may ary depending on who supplies locally?

• That doesn't sound a v healthy shop does it!  It was just a top up, honest!

• Aldi has just won best Supermarket of the year award,  we don't have one near us but have a Lidl, are they much the same?

• I do my full weekly shop there so get all fruit, veg, meat, dairy products, bread, cereal, cleaning stuff etc

ML - we don't have a Lidl near us but my brother was talking about this the other day and said he thinks Aldi stuff is better

• A Lidl opened next door to Aldi here. My Mum went in to Lidl, and loads of people left their baskets and trolleys half way round, as  they were finding it more expensive than Aldi. I haven't been in myself, so can't say how true that is (My Mum put her stuff back too, and went to Aldi).