Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Been scammed so angry with myself

Had a text from the bank as they thought my account had been used fraudgently last night. I have worked out how it happened. Basically I had a what I thought was an email from amazon saying my account had been compromised and so I went via the link to what I thought was the amazon page and reentered my bank card details and it turned out to be a scam. The second transaction was blocked by my bank, the first one wasn't and although the first one the money hasn't left my account yet they can't stop it as it is on a Visa debit card. Grrrrr feel so stupid and am so angry with myself. Will now change all my passwords tonight as I am now paranoid. It could have been worse it was for £99 but I doubt I will get it back as it was my fault for giving my bank details.

Replies

• Oh no! I do hope you get the money back! It really annoys me that people think that it's ok to steal money from others. :-(

• Noooooo. Please don't feel bad, it's really easily done. These scammers are absolute scum.

My mum had her purse stolen from her bag at her local Tesco and she hadn't even realised it was gone. This thief then called my Mum at work - she'd left one of her business cards in it  which the scumbag obviously matched up with her credit cards - pretending to be her bank saying that someone was trying to steal her money right at that moment and could she confirm her PIN code, well she panicked and only gave them the PIN but luckily in her confusion it was the wrong one! My Mother was instantly mortified and couldn't believe she'd done it, hung up then phoned the REAL bank who sorted it all out really quickly and told her that they'd tried to withdraw £500, the b*stards. It can catch anyone off guard.

Hope that you get your money back x

• I am very relieved but it looks like I haven't lost any money. Just have to be far more careful in future.

• glad it all ended well

• Just awaiting a new bank card to arrive in branch