Forum home General Chat General chat

Do you like to have things to look forward to?

I've got a 18 month 0% credit card, and it's burning a whole in my pocket EmbarrassedLaugh

I want to book Disneyland paris for Christmas 2014, they've got a good deal on and we can get 5 days for just over £400 for the four of us.  Just need to add flights on.  I want to book it, but something is holding me back. 

I also want to get turkey booked up for next year, normally we have our summer holiday for the following year booked up by now, but we have been holding off because we weren't sure what time of year we'd be able to go.  Now we have got our dates sorted and I can book it, again something is holding me back.

I've always been a saver, we can afford both trips no problem, but for some reason I'm feeling a bit scared to commit so much money. Laugh  I know I can stick it on the credit card and pay it back monthly but i'm a bit scared of owing so much money.

Replies

• I do like having things to look forward to, but like you, IF I can afford it.  If you have a plan of how to pay it back though, I'd go for it.  If you save to pay it off the card between now and then, it's no big deal.    

We were lucky in that we got a nice little windfall from our mortgage company due to them cocking something up, so we're using some of  that to book and pay 25% of next year's holiday, and the rest we will be saving for  until we have to pay the balance next year.  I quite like having a commitment like that, because you want to put the money aside knowing you will have something lovely to do in the end.

• Oh yes I need something to look forward to and currently have very little.

However,  I also won't book/ commit unless I've got the money in the account to pay for it

• Definitely like having things to look forward too.

I'm not a fan of credit cards though, and if I haven't got all the money NOW, then I won't buy/book anything. (comes from my Mum, telling me that if I can't afford it, then I go without, or save.)

• I think if you can book it and have a plan for paying it before you go then go for it.  It's like most holidays isn't it?  Pay deposit now, pay balance nearer the time....same idea.

I do love having things to look forward to, otherwise life feels like groundhog day Laugh