Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Fining parents for their children not doing homework?

Gahhh, I am in such a bad mood today. Quoting from the BBC website

Sir Michael Wilshaw says parents who allow homework to be left undone, who miss parents' evenings or fail to read with their children should be punished.

It is hard enough being a parent, however I don't feel parents should be fined if their child hasn't done their homework, miss parents evening's or don't read with their child. Despite the fact I make sure my son does his homework, go to parents evenings and read with my son. Sometimes parents don't have the skill to help with homework or for that matter read with their child. At a certain point you can't force a child to do their homework particularly if that child point blankly refuses to do the work. My SIL is a head of English and her husband is a sports photographer. Their eldest is year 9 had exams but pulled a fast one and said he only had exams in Math's, English and Science and just revised for those whereas he had exams in all subjects so should his parents be punished!!! What happens if due to work you can't make parents evenings or look at your child's work as it is in the working day.

Also not impressed with the changes to school meals to make them healthier, or free school meals for all under 7's. My son wouldn't eat so has a healthy packed lunch.

Replies

• Options

Hmmm, I can sort of see what he's saying (as a parent who missed a key event at school today!). Sad fact is that some parents are bad and they deserve to be called on it. No idea how on earth they would police it though!?

• Options

I can see the points but personally... I don't think you should be fined for it if  you have a reason to miss parents evening's etc... I am disabled I can't afford to run a car so I am fully reliant on other people.. Hubby works shifts and often finishes at 21:00 how will I be able to get to parent's evenings? Will I be fined because I cant get out of the house by myself?

You can't just tarnish everyone that doesn't attend things as being lazy or bad parents.

• Options

Hmmm... Tricky one. My friend has 4 kids and admits she simply can't keep up with the demands the primary school puts on them all. There would be no family time and no natural education (days out, playing in garden, reading etc). Her husband is the head of our best local secondary, so it's not as though education isn't a priority, but it's just not possible.

In my case I've done my bit over many years and will no longer chase my son or punish him. If he doesn't go to school or hand in homework he's old enough to understand the consequences and my being on his case and turning our home into a war zone won't do the slightest bit of good.

But some parents show no interest at all and simply neglect to engage with school. I don't think fining them would help, I suspect it would make them more hostile.

• Options

It's just bollocks though isn't it?

The super rich can send their children to boarding school at very young ages and they then never read to their children, tuck them into bed or ensure that their childrena re doign their homework... are they to be fined? Or is it just demonising of the very poor and those that are in tenious positions workwise? Is it yet again another media grabbing headline so that eevryone can point the finger at soem parents and scream they are the problem?

I can't see any school agreeing to fining parents (usually those that are strugglign for money anyway) the schools used to ahev funding toa ssist these students further but they is being taken away so the governement instead of helping those that sre sturgglign feel it is easier to punish those that are struggling. Feck em ALL for never udnerstanding anythign that goes on and instead just demonising the poor and young<rant over for now>

• Options

Personally I think home works a waste of time anyway. Fining for holidays in school time hasn't worked so why would this. It's not about fining its about the ethos of the school and parents working together for the child's best interest. But you can't make that a law.