Forum home General Chat General chat

I hate teenagers

Why do I do it voluntary youth work and running a Saturday Rock School. I could well do with out the stress. At least there will be no surprises when my son reaches the teen years

Replies

• Oh, are they *all* bad? I know some I almost like ;)

• No some are ok and yes I do in reality like them most of the time. Sometimes if they would just let adults know what is going on problems and upsets could be avoided. The School of Rock students with band issues are causing us some sleepless nights. It is because we genuinely care however we will come across as the bad guys for not letting some of them do what they want to do. I kind of have a love hate or more likely hate hate relationship with the School of Rock we run. I do it for my husband as he loves it and it is his baby been involved since it first started 17 years ago and because I care about the teenagers

• I know exactly what you mean!!  I was involved in a local youth group for over 15 years as an adult helper and sometimes the teenagers would drive me mad, on the other hand thoughm they used to make me so proud when they achieved something they never thought possible, and I found that once they realised my decisions where always based on what would benefit them the most they were pretty understanding.

I found being open and honest with them was always the best way to approach any issues - treating them like adults who could understand and make their own decisions as much as practically possible.

I still wanted to scream sometimes though, and I can honestky say having left when C was born I don't miss it at all :)

I hope it all sorts itself out for you soon xx