Forum home General Chat General chat

I started the 5:2 diet today.

I started with a fast day (on a bank holiday?!) and, surprisingly, I haven't been overly hungry. If I got the pangs, I'd drink a glass of water. I was tempted by the chicken my MIL served up today but managed to resist it and kept to my 500 calories. H is doing this with me so that's a great help. I'm glad it's a normal day tomorrow so I can indulge a little. Fingers crossed this works for me.

Today, I had:

B - plain omelette (2 eggs)

L - an apple

D - vegetable stew with carrot and parsnip mash.

Replies

• I've heard good things about it. I've fasted for 60 hours before and it's just not bothered me. I find eating in moderation MUCH harder than abstinence, so I am impressed by people who can get this to work for them.  Good luck!

• Good for you DS! Hope it works for you both x

• Good for you.. I have been tempted to try this so would love to hear how you get on and what you eat on fast days.

• I've lost the 1.5lbs that I gained since the start of the summer holiday, so I'm really pleased about that. Normal days today and tomorrow, so I can eat up to 2000cals, which will be great!

• Well done for your first day!  I started it again yesterday, and hopefully I'll not pig out too much on my non fast days so that it works this time.  

Yesterday I had:

B - nothing (I find I can stick to it better if I leave it as long as possible to eat my first meal, also helped by the fact that MrDD got up with C and let me have a lie in until about 10.30!)

L - Chicken salad, sf jelly

D - Beef stir fry

• Ooh yes sugar free jelly. What a great Idea

• I'm going to try this - today is my first fast day. So far I havent eaten anything, so far so good, but I need to choose dinner wisely.

How do you work out how many calories to eat on fast days and normal days though?

• 1stBaby - I bought a couple of the books, which explains the calories etc, but you don't actually need, but if you're a member of any of the 5:2 groups there is info on them that tells you I think.

One of the books (the Michael Mosely one) says it's a standard 500 for everyone, and the other (by Kate Harrison) says it's 1/4 of what should be a normal calorie intake depending on your weight, height, normal daily activity etc - I go by that one which works out at 400 for me.

• Ah ok will have a look thanks DD x

• Good for you, I hope it works for you. Keep us updated. My H has been talking about doing it so I will be following your progress and report back!!

• I've been doing it too, although since my holiday (and joining1 of  the online fb 5:2 group) I've changed the way I was doing it.

I was doing v late breakfast / early lunch of salad and then dinner later on totalling 500 cal. The 1st few weeks I lost but as usual with me, then ground to a halt.  Was sticking to 1200 calories the other days (4 out of 5 days anyway).

While on holiday (and eating and drinking my way through half of spain!!) I read more into it so when I got back last week (and had put on 8 pounds!!!!!) I decided to change and see if I could just do my 500 in the eve as on the FB group, alot of "snails" - ie slow losers like me!! seem to do better on. Also, I am not sticking with 2000 on non fast days - as my tdee (or whatever its called) for my age/weight/activity level is 1700 something.

I have lost 5.5 this week but am sure its because I've stopped being a pig food wise and also not drunk since Spain. Am taking it from this week "properly".

Good luck to all doing it and hopefully I will see some results as I am a bridesmaid next May.

The support group is very much that this is a WOE - way of eating rather than a "diet"