Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

In The Club

Anyone watching this? Cant believe only heard of it now! I forgot how good a writer Kay Mellor is - I loved her Band of Gold series from long long ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Club_(TV_series)

Replies

• I'm enjoying it. I'm a big fan of Hermione Norris so I decided to give it a go and was impressed :)

• Yeah I'm loving it!

• Watched the three episodes back to back tonight and am absolutely gutted to see next isn't until Thursday and I'm away :-(

• I think it's the worst programme ever Weep sooooo unrealistic, suppose it's ok for escapism and I need to remember it's made up but Iv had to stop watching due to rage Laugh

I did cry at the crash ga section and the christening in scbu and think Jill halfpenny is very good. Loved that she was up walking about 10 mins after her crash section Laugh and that the young pregnant mw is caked in make up.

• Rage cos of the inaccuracies? Do you work as a doc/nurse/mw?

I guess I do that with programmes that are IT based (I work in IT) - where they can magnify a picture taken at low res and still see the reflection in a bit of plastic or something like that Bang head so yeah I think I know what you mean. I usually just comment on them with derision and keep watching! Big Smile

• Well kind of loads of inaccuracies and I am a nurse but no clue re midwifery or scbu or anything.

What was the bank job all about, then the huge chase and then the car park delivery and the mw crying over the baby in theatre when she should have been resuscitating her, they have every ailment going, the husband running into theatre (whilst under arrest) and her miraculously waking up totally coherant and knowing the daughter was ill despite just having had a general anaesthetic, the staff hiding the dad whilst he spent time with the family, Jill halfpenny up and walking around and down the corridor to scbu (Jesus I think it took me around 24 hours to contemplate standing after my crash section.

I think it should be watched with the attitude if a soap/hol by knowing that there's loads of artistic licence then it's fine....where as I'm

Barred from watching it now due to continued tutting at the TV and commenting on it Laugh

• It's just a second Eastenders to me (Moving wallpaper!!) and is nice to snuggle up to with a hot chocolate :)

• I've watched it. Last week H watched it with me and kept muttering 'we shouldn't be watching this'! I had to remind him it was a drama and not real life.

• I meant to come back to this - what did people think re the ending? I felt a bit short changed. We don't know what happened with Dev and the baby, or what the story was with Rowanna and Simon's Dad, or if Kim & Neil get together or if Rosie gets preggers again? I have so many questions. I can't believe they left us hanging like that..... Like a really bad novel with no proper closing. I know it's "left up to the imagination" but that's just rubbish in my book.

*grumble* *grumble*

• You neve know Tayto there may be a follow up? But agree i felt short changed by the ending

• This is why I try not to watch any 'new' tv stuff - I get so worked up when they mess us about. This is also why I had to stop watching 24, lost and stuff like that!

• I thought it was disappointing to be honest...with a decent writer and cast I expected better. I watched the crash GA the week I was due...not a great idea as I was sobbing my heart out when they were resuscitating the baby. The ending was poo too!

TRF - definitely up there with Holby City ;-)  

• I'd love to find out for real ie in real life if you would be expected to do a vaginal delivery following an open appendicectomy. Seems like a form

Of torture. I realise she (can't remember her name) was in the throws of contractions/labour but to allow them to carry on vaginal delivery with a fetal heart rate if 60/70 is awful (Ls heart rate was 60/70 and was peri arrest hence the need for section under ga).

The only reason I carried in watching was to see baby hope and what happened, but one minute she was gravely ill and ventilated then she was off home

Kim ended up really irritating me in the end with the constant whispering Laugh

The older mw also irritated me for no reason specifically other than she was there Laugh

They have prob left all the open endings for a second series, god help us

• Chris the doctor REALLY bugged me with his constant "you have no choice" about everything. Er actually yes all women have the right to give or withhold consent regarding medical treatment even if they are in labour! What an ***. If he had induced me against my will, I'd have sued the pants off him once I'd had the baby.

• I did like the twist with Rowanna - I had seen something between them when they first met and I was glad to be proved right Big Smile

I got annoyed over the appendicitis and imminent labour - that would never happen IRL - I was shouting at the tv and H had to remind me that "it as just a tv programme" ROTFL

• Some of it was ridiculous but other bits were well done. Seeing Hope on the ventilator made me sob because she looked just like Amethyst did.  With regards to it being unrealistic that she was on a ventilator one minute and home not long after - Amethyst had almost zero lung function at birth, not only was ventilated but had a hole in her lung and needed a chest drain yet she did amazingly well and came home just 16 days after being born :)

• I confess I really like this programme. It may not be terribly realistic but it's quite entertaining and I like the way it explores the relationships between the female characters. Totally agree with you Saisi though, Chris the doctor is a real pain!