Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is it time for a revolution?

This is possibly not the right place but I've tried on BT before so I'll try againBig Smile

I think Rusell Brand speaks a lot of sense? Whom will join me for a revolution?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/10/russell-brand-on-revolution

Replies

• Options

I may be up for a revolution, just not one of the Alex Salmond kind. God help us.

• Options

Russell Brand is an odious man, I'm not joining him for anything. According to the theory of anacyclosis, we're heading for Ochlocracy, mob rule, after democracy anyway, so might as well wait until we implode our political system for that fun to happen.

• Options

I can't stand Russell brand and so much of this article is rubbish! Sorry QI!

• Options

Ha, love Cats word to describe him, odious, that's perfect. I actually got bored halfway through reading his article, he tries to sound more intelligent than he is I think.

What do we do though? Those on benefits aren't going to be up for a revolution. The rest of us are too knackered working to achieve anything. Or maybe that's what Cameron et al are hoping for.

Things do have to change that's for sure. Difficulty is you are up against it. I work in local government and councillors are afraid to shake things up and change things. Anything slightly controversial that is proposed is rejected. Partly because I'm in Scotland we have an snp administration and apparently the guidance from Holyrood is to not rock the boat on ANYTHING until after September next year. Which is a very cynical approach imo and one that isn't winning me over in the fight for independence.

Alsi, Salmond or Cameron, it's tough to know who is worse! But the Grangemouth stuff during the week showed how volatile Scotland's financial position is imo. Income from there apparently counts for somewhere between 10 and 20% of our GDP, and it could have been wiped out in a day.  My nationalist H thinks it was UK government propaganda Laugh I think its arrogant unions gone mad.

Anyway I digress. I'm not sure what a better alternative would be QI and how a revolt could happen. Thiughts?

• Options

i saw RB in concert last week and he was amazing, i was pleasantly surprised, he is so intelligent ! im up for it !

• Options

He has no alternative suggestion?  What is his revolution?  What is his alternative? drivel.  Nothing of any substance.  

I started off not liking him (because I have a weird, discriminatory fear of men with long hair) but in spite of that I have warmed to him over the years as he's sharp, articulate and sometimes engaging, but he's almost become a parody of himself.

I have no time for people who denigrate a system with no suggestions for substantive and workable alternatives, rather than just meaningless platitudes like a "fairer society" and "more equal" etc.  Useless platitudes unless you put forward how this could be achieved.