Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Making a cushion for a bench seat

I have pinned some tutorials on my Pinterest to do this, but I thought I'd see if any real-life folks had done this, and how easy it was?

I guess it's plywood, foam, batting, glue, outer material. I bought enough material at Ikea to cover it a second time (in case it gets stained or perma-grubby) but having it removable for washing would be good.

Happy to hear any tips :)

Replies

• Options

::sniggers at the thought of Counter with a needle and thread :: Laugh

• Options

You're not wrong!!

• Options

I'm not sure exactly what you're covering, but for a seat cover I would measure the foam and cover it in a plain neutral base cover. Then the outer cover would go over the top, and I'd do that with a zip so it could be removed and washed. If you don't know how to add zips you could do it pillow case style with the opening on the smaller end. You mention plywood, are you actually making the seat part of the bench? If this is the case and you need the wood hiding I'd be tempted to use foam cut to size, lay it on the wood and then lay fabric over the top and staple it underneath. Stretch it slightly as you do and carefully fold the corners in so they're not too bulky on the corners. I'd then make a simple cover with your outer fabric which could be tied on at each leg, so easy to take off and wash. Hope that make sense and helps.

• Options

Thanks Raincloud! I have the surface it's to go on but the tutorials I'd glanced at all gave a solid(ish) base to it with the foam on top, and I hadn't thought of 'building' with a material under it and then having the cover as a top layer.

There's no legs, it's a hallway bench with shoe and boot space under and panels at either end so I've nothing to tether it to. Do you think a removable, non-zipped cover would provide a tight enough finish to look good?

Would one long cushion (it's 7 ft wide) look better than, say, 2 or 3 separate ones, do you think?

Sorry - more questions!

• Options

If you are cover an existing base I wouldn't bother with plywood, just make the cushion and removable cover as in my first suggestion. If you measure it well a pillow case style cover should be fine, if you're worried poppers could be added to hold the opening closed as this would be hidden underneath. I'd do one long cushion. I would think three smaller ones would be more likely to fall off, and take longer to make. To be honest zips aren't too hard and this would create the neatest finish.

• Options

I'm wanting to make a "nook" with covered benches :-) although I don't think the H will agree.

• Options

Good point about one big taking much less time! I'm a total novice so I think I'll look in to zipping but if I'm too scared (!) poppers is a great idea, thank you :)

• Options

Appreciated the help Raincloud, thanks, so have come back to report I did it! My first time on a sewing machine was hilarious... I had some old cream curtains so I did a permanent cover with those one evening, then the patterned cover. Sad to say, with the pelvic pain and BP issues I wasn't on best form so I needed to hurry it along. I've actually handsewn the end that was meant to have Velcro or poppers, just to get it DONE! But I figure it'll be rare I'll need to remove and wash so I'll sort it next time. Or I'll handsewn it shut again, lol, for the sake of ten minutes :)

Now the sewing machine and I have made friends (or at least, are no longer enemies!) I can start on the baby quilt that was to be my 1st Jan project :)

• Options

That looks fab! Love the pattern on the fabric! Well done. Don't worry about hand sewing the end. As you say you can easily adapt it at a later date.

• Options

That looks excellent, lovely fabric, and I'm jealous of your handy shoe storage. Was that custom made?

• Options

Wow, that looks really great, well done.

• Options

Oh thanks, I won't be so nervous of the sewing machine next time I need to do something :)

nftfi

That looks excellent, lovely fabric, and I'm jealous of your handy shoe storage. Was that custom made?

Yes, I looked at buying Ikea things to do something similar but really had my heart set on built-in so I sketched something and a local carpenter did it in a day in MDF and we painted it. It's got taller gap on the bottom for boots, then shoes above that, and there's a small shelf along the top, handy for gloves, keys etc. I get a bit gooey when I picture little bums sitting on there having their shoes put on :)

• Options

Ah, what a lovely image to have in my mind Counter, that's a nice thought for the day :)

I may have to have a quiet word with h as he's not bad with MDF when he can be bothered.  The idea of a taller gap for boots is excellent.